Page 309 of 418 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319359409 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,090 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Insider
    These are the downstream effects on computer and software engineering, I wanted to discuss. which should have been obvious since I wrote 5 paragraphs about it.

To respond to Josh's comment, die shrink was always the best expectation value research project, and it's only now that exotic schemes will get a good look.
    I was curious, but having a smart and known cost curve makes a lot of sense. I thought they could have looked good if the expectation of Moore's law was not there limiting the potential development curve. Moonshot technology, kind of like the quantum computing development was with DWave. But then, it does all come down to dollars.

That being said, now that we are reaching limits, I expect some really groundbreaking stuff to be developed on all sides. The 3D architecture chips look really promising, and even just changing the software to optimized processing has huge potential. https://www.xilinx.com/news/press/20...-category.html

I wouldn't be surprised if we take some solid steps ahead of Moore's curve outside of consumer computing.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for UUID/serial number generation software? I need to be able to generate a unique, 4-8 character alphanumeric string on-demand, preferably in the format of reputable software. I could hack together something in excel but I'm looking for something more professional due to management.
    Is it for government property? If so, there's a MIL-STD requirement for it. If it's just for company use, then I'd work backwards from who will need to gain access to the asset management database and then figure out how you're going to host it. From there, you can parse the options. A SaaS subscription/ hosted option may be ideal. Doing something in access is better in this case than excel for the hack job anyway.

Insider
    Irony: On the cable ISP issue, SpaceX was just granted rights from the FCC to start launching their system, and the have granted rights to three other companies also:

https://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rel...CC-18-38A1.pdf

That should end the monopoly that often extends to rural communities.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    Irony: On the cable ISP issue, SpaceX was just granted rights from the FCC to start launching their system, and the have granted rights to three other companies also:

https://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rel...CC-18-38A1.pdf

That should end the monopoly that often extends to rural communities.
    None of those applications look to be in the right frequency band. I also can't find anything about the Globalstar suit being settled. 5g microcell deployment is the answer and, in most cases, a milliwave hybrid deployment can make the business model work. The ISP's are all clammoring to control the IoT which doesn't exactly have a carrier, but controlling the bandwidth for that will shore-up control for the next 20+ years. Ending net neutrality set us back a good 50+ years in informational freedom.

Insider
    ............. Ah, what do you mean by not in the right frequency band? The FCC does limit them to a few bands, so they don't really get much choice, and if it didn't work I think they wouldn't do it. Though you never know.

It won't be the highest speed ever, thought ViaSat is offering 100mps and 150mps service already from the Geostationary satellite that is 22,000 miles up (or is the Hughesnet?) vs lower latency from 700 miles up. That is what most people in the US use. I mean, it won't compete with hardline, fiber, local 5G or anything. But compared to Hughesnet or DSL, and SpaceX was considering an unlimited version for $30 a month, it is a reasonable price. I pay $50 a month for 100mps right now. SpaceX does say it will be high-speed service to the entire world, and there are others working to do the same. Even 5G has to have a tower, and won't get to some places. It would run into some of the same issues you currently have, with only one competitor for some areas.

Ending net neutrality set us back a good 50+ years in informational freedom.
    50 years ago there was no internets??? Like Ma Bell time? I remember when Ma Bell was broken up (it was 1983) and you had to lease a Bell rotary phone. My neighbors had a Party Line. We had 4 TV stations and that wasn't 50 years ago, that was less than 40. Let's just say you kids don't know how good ya have it. Now, get off my lawn.

In truth Net Neutrality was put in place in April 2015, so all of the setting us back it could have done is turn back 'informational freedom' 3 years. :P
    Last edited by pbjosh; 04-06-2018 at 09:12 AM.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

In truth Net Neutrality was put in place in April 2015, so all of the setting us back it could have done is turn back 'informational freedom' 3 years. :P
    the internet was fucked up until that date. with everything that pro-net nuetraility folks said would happen, happening.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    the internet was fucked up until that date. with everything that pro-net nuetraility folks said would happen, happening.
    We're letting ISPs build an empire on top of something that isn't theirs. They don't generate content. Period. They deliver access and for them to try and control what YOU USE THE BANDWIDTH YOU PAY FOR is none of their business. Only a fucking idiot would argue otherwise.

The "how good you have it" arguement is also pretty insular. Want to guess where we sit in a global broadband rank? Akamai publishes a quarterly state of the internet report. If you look at the economic and educational disparity that exists between those who have access to online content and those who don't it's astounding. Not only that, but there are ISPs that won't build last mile architecture in low income areas. Lucily, I did a case study with a city near Houston that showed the infrastucture could be funded with federal grant money (that's also going away under Trump).
    Last edited by ironyusa; 04-06-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Let's just say you kids don't know how good ya have it. Now, get off my lawn.
    Fuck off, you're not even that much older than most people here.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

defending getting ripped off by companies is a conservative value.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    defending getting ripped off by companies is THE ONLY GOP value.
    ftfy