Page 314 of 418 FirstFirst ... 214264304312313314315316324364414 ... LastLast
Results 3,131 to 3,140 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Insider
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Oh man I love that.

Isn't there a Japanese design ethos about taking inspiration from nature? This exact thing has been used previously to quiet down a high-speed train in Japan.

edit - random website about what I'm talking about

edit 2 apparently it didn't link the first time... https://www.greenbiz.com/blog/2012/1...t-train-better
    Last edited by new ion?; 04-24-2018 at 11:28 AM.

structuring turbine blades has been around for a long time, you can do far more than reduce sound with it.

the issue is always cost, no one willing to pay for it.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

so i just drove 2 corvettes last night, both C5s, one a pure NA build on a FRC making a claimed 450hp, and a stock z06 (405hp).

pretty much my next autocross/daily/roadtrip sports car is a choice between some kind of corvette, or a 2019 ND Miata.

i think my thoughts on these cars can be summed up with the phrase "The numbers write checks the experience can't cash"

I know what advantage 2hp is in a race, i race spec miatas. I know that 10hp can make the difference between a great car and a crappy one in autocross. when you drive miata's you do lust after the torque, and the power, and your always using lots of driving tricks to cover for the fact that you don't have a big motor. and so, when you go out and drive a bunch of big power cars, you expect the experience to fulfill what you always imagined a 400+ hp car would be like. thats nearly 4x the amount of power i drive and race, and you expect it to blow your mind. It just .... doesn't though. i have known this about muscle cars for a long time, as every 3 or 4 years i get a thing up my butt and decide i need to drive a mustang or something and the second i sit down i know i've made a mistake. too big, too fat, too heavy, ew .... but the corvette was different. it wasn't too big or too heavy, and had plenty of power. and it was good to drive, put power down when you were nice to to, and would kick out and you could drive it like a crazy person if you were mean to it, it had all the right dynamic habits of a good car. the z06 especially was a very good driving car.

i don't know. i guess i was expected more. they just weren't as good as i was expecting them to be, knowing the numbers. I am in a super car of 10 years ago, and the speed was just, underwhelming. then again, i had the same experience when riding in actual super cars of today too. the speed was highly underwhelming sitting in the passenger seat of a 458 Italia. so maybe i shouldn't be surprised. then again i was in a 997 base last weekend, and was only impressed by just how good a car even the base model 911 is.

i don't know. I was just expecting so much more. the numbers promised me so much more. 400hp is truly mind bending power when you understand the proper application of horsepower. but it wasn't even close to as good as i thought it was going to be.

on the other hand, the 155hp in the ND miata is plenty, and 181hp in the 2019 will make that car possibly the best machine man has ever created.

we'll see. #thermiteinmypocket
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Yeah, I'm also excited for the 19 ND....duh.

I've never driven a C5Z. I'd like to.
    OlllllllO

I still think c5s are the best Corvettes. They can be had cheaply, modified and are overall well balanced to drive on track or off.

I had one as a project car that I had sitting on 400hp after some pretty minor tinkering that felt quite punchy. I just tend to always go back to something AWD for my fun cars, and usually Subaru. Though most of my racing is on dirt track.

If you haven't yet, go test drive a Focus RS. Find a decent road with some turns, put it in drift mode (not for drifting, for turn in) and feel the difference. It made the 2017 STI I compared it with feel like a plowing pig. Such a dynamically good car.
    OlllllllO

I have driven one and overall liked it. The salesman I dealt with at my local Ford saw me pull up in my WRX and was really happy to just let me compare the two on my own. They must've been looking to offload a few because they were upfront about being willing to work numbers really hard, and let me take one home for a weekend to see how it lives in the wild.

It would have been this summer that I would be picking up a new vehicle after paying off my DD, but then Ford just went and killed their cars...

The performance lines won't be hit - in fact, I'm expecting them to expand the ST line. There's also going to be the "Ford Active" line, which I'm running the assumption will take the place of the current sedan models. My read so far is that they really did a poop job on the news release that the Fiesta and Taurus now, and later the current Focus and Fusion, are being eliminated. The Focus is a world model that's not going away. When the Fusion goes, I'm expecting there to be some sort of replacement.

The "kill the sedan" bit also doesn't affect (currently) the Lincoln line of sedans. Which is only two models anyway, the due-to-be-renamed MKZ and the Continental.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    The performance lines won't be hit - in fact, I'm expecting them to expand the ST line. There's also going to be the "Ford Active" line, which I'm running the assumption will take the place of the current sedan models. My read so far is that they really did a poop job on the news release that the Fiesta and Taurus now, and later the current Focus and Fusion, are being eliminated. The Focus is a world model that's not going away. When the Fusion goes, I'm expecting there to be some sort of replacement.

The "kill the sedan" bit also doesn't affect (currently) the Lincoln line of sedans. Which is only two models anyway, the due-to-be-renamed MKZ and the Continental.
    So Ford's going to offer ST versions of regular cars they don't?