Page 317 of 418 FirstFirst ... 217267307315316317318319327367417 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,170 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Mercedes' 2.0L I4 currently makes the most power for any I4 engine (355 hp), so unless they put something other than a four banger in an RS, a 300 hp ST would be getting close to RS performance.

Insider
    Sure is a good thing they dodged the whole problem by killing the line and selling them for cheap then.

I applaud Ford for seeing the writing on the wall and doing some belt-tightening. That said, I suspect this is their "oh shit" subprime auto loans moment.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    Mercedes' 2.0L I4 currently makes the most power for any I4 engine (355 hp), so unless they put something other than a four banger in an RS, a 300 hp ST would be getting close to RS performance.
    2016-2018 Volvo S/V60 Polestar - 360HP I4. Twincharged. Not that it matters..

I would do awful things for a MY19 V60 T6.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    2016-2018 Volvo S/V60 Polestar - 360HP I4. Twincharged. Not that it matters..

I would do awful things for a MY19 V60 T6.
    That's news to me. Thanks. I wonder what a twincharged car feels like to drive. I assume a properly-tuned one should feel similar to a bigger displacement NA engine.

I'm immature and love this dude's channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ0...0wOKEqT2Z1HEtA

I cry laughing at the idiocy. Example:

Last edited by ironyusa; 05-02-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Drove a C7 Z06 for the first time today.

Holy smokes. What a freaking car.
    OlllllllO

anyone have any experience doing the calculations for wood construction? i am making a modification to the house, nothing major, but i need to figure out how strong it is. i've found a lot online, but in most cases the estimation of E and max fiber bend stress is pretty much a +/-25% guess. i mean obviously there is a major factory of safety in the calculations, but wow, i am not comfortable with the accuracy of anything i have read so far. mostly its people pulling crap out there asses, or at least it feels like it.

also, running the numbers for what otherwise seem like structurally sound construction (such as the floor) is utterly terrifying. when doing a new calculation i often try out things i know, are fine in order to "gain my bearings" so to speak in terms of what normal values should be. and yeah, not instilling confidence here.

pretty sure my modification will be stronger than the entire rest of the house.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 05-07-2018 at 07:14 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I'm immature and love this dude's channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ0...0wOKEqT2Z1HEtA

I cry laughing at the idiocy. Example:

So, he's an Electrical Engineer, lives in Vancouver. He's hilarious, but knows what he's doing. He's teaching (& learning I guess) through funny ways to show what happens when you screw up. There's nothing he's doing that will actually hurt himself more than basic shocks. IE he's always shocking himself across one hand, never across the chest.

As an example, his video on creating his own phone charger is hilarious and he did actually kill the phone(s? I can't remember off hand how many he killed) while making the video. Granted, this was when Youtube was still paying pretty well so I don't think they were anything other than pawn shop specials.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    So, he's an Electrical Engineer, lives in Vancouver. He's hilarious, but knows what he's doing. He's teaching (& learning I guess) through funny ways to show what happens when you screw up. There's nothing he's doing that will actually hurt himself more than basic shocks. IE he's always shocking himself across one hand, never across the chest.

As an example, his video on creating his own phone charger is hilarious and he did actually kill the phone(s? I can't remember off hand how many he killed) while making the video. Granted, this was when Youtube was still paying pretty well so I don't think they were anything other than pawn shop specials.
    Imped - what was it you liked so much? I've heard good things about the Z06, but even better about the GS and the ZR1 (obviously..)

Well, let's start with the basics. What's not to like about 650 HP and 650 ft lbs of torque, combined with a nice interior, magnetic shocks and the C7's looks?
    OlllllllO

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    anyone have any experience doing the calculations for wood construction? i am making a modification to the house, nothing major, but i need to figure out how strong it is. i've found a lot online, but in most cases the estimation of E and max fiber bend stress is pretty much a +/-25% guess. i mean obviously there is a major factory of safety in the calculations, but wow, i am not comfortable with the accuracy of anything i have read so far. mostly its people pulling crap out there asses, or at least it feels like it.

also, running the numbers for what otherwise seem like structurally sound construction (such as the floor) is utterly terrifying. when doing a new calculation i often try out things i know, are fine in order to "gain my bearings" so to speak in terms of what normal values should be. and yeah, not instilling confidence here.

pretty sure my modification will be stronger than the entire rest of the house.
    Oh look, a question in my wheelhouse!

What modification do you want to do, is the question... The main thing we look at with floor members is deflection, which "worst case" we like L/720 for heavier flooring materials, like tile, since we prefer the old school thick mud set. Its also important on thin set since well, there's not as much holding it together but underlayment types can affect how well it performs. That's just an example since I've been dealing with it the last week on a couple jobs.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-07-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.