Page 329 of 418 FirstFirst ... 229279319327328329330331339379 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,290 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
    Amazing! Those are seriously big houses by UK standards. A professional soccer player (not living in London) would probably have a 5-6000sf house over here.

What is the build cost on a 5500sf and 8500sf house over there?
    The custom homes I'm working on typically start at $400 per square foot, not including the price of land. Note, none are in the city of Detroit, but in northern suburbs or further abroad. We're consulting on one in Beverly Hills, CA which has a nine figure budget... its Tony Stark insane. I think in the ballpark of 35k square feet.

For inexpensive budget construction, start at $100 per square foot... but that doesn't get you much.

There's a neighborhood near Belle Isle called Indian Village which is one of the neighborhoods that generally has held up pretty well, with huge classical homes. A buddy of mine bought one there last year for around 300k I think, after his extensive renovations it'll probably be worth 400+ already, and it's one of the smaller ones on the street.

The town homes in Lafayette Park, between Belle Isle and downtown, are skyrocketing in value... its a pretty sweet Mies van der Rohe design. Another former co-worker bought in at under 100k for a beat down unit in the recession and it's probably quadrupled in value. He had it on the market and is restoring another home out near the Detroit Golf Club.

Belle Isle is bizarre to me now. Growing up my grandparents took us there frequently. In college we'd zip down there Saturday mornings and play flag football. I need to make it to a grand prix there, scheduling never works.
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
    6k sqft!! That's not a house, that's an f'in castle!!

And yea, I'm not a city boy. Makes my skin crawl having all those people so close to me, lol
    Well, I kind of cheated.....the 'unfinished' basement is nearly 2k of those square feet. We plan on finishing it in the next couple years. The cool aspect about this house is that it's got a 3 car garage and a 4th that goes down into the basement, where I've got my shop, my Jeep and my mower parked, along with a bunch of other crap.
    OlllllllO

Quote Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
    No real complaints here.....I own a 6k square foot house on 3 acres and pay a little more for my mortgage than my brother does for his small apartment in LA.

You guys that do that are crazy. Places like LA, DC and NYC are cool to visit but I'd never live there.
    Lol, i am in NJ. In fact the southern most tip of NJ. 700 sq ft house with a detached 1 car garage, finished, on an ok lot. The house started as a summer home, no heat, that was built in the 60s. As much as i fine with the area, i just don't make enough to truly renovate it the way i want, nor can really afford to buy new in the area, without winning the lottery. The area is a tourist trap, which is way the property values go up.

Well, I kind of cheated.....the 'unfinished' basement is nearly 2k of those square feet. We plan on finishing it in the next couple years. The cool aspect about this house is that it's got a 3 car garage and a 4th that goes down into the basement, where I've got my shop, my Jeep and my mower parked, along with a bunch of other crap.
    That's a good ratio of garage/basement to house. Are you planning on finishing the basement for actual living space or expanding your shop? I have a 2 car garage with two cars in it and not much room for machines, so I'm thinking about converting my already finished basement into a shop. Carpet is a suitable floor material for machining, right?

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    The custom homes I'm working on typically start at $400 per square foot, not including the price of land. Note, none are in the city of Detroit, but in northern suburbs or further abroad. We're consulting on one in Beverly Hills, CA which has a nine figure budget... its Tony Stark insane. I think in the ballpark of 35k square feet.

For inexpensive budget construction, start at $100 per square foot... but that doesn't get you much.

There's a neighborhood near Belle Isle called Indian Village which is one of the neighborhoods that generally has held up pretty well, with huge classical homes. A buddy of mine bought one there last year for around 300k I think, after his extensive renovations it'll probably be worth 400+ already, and it's one of the smaller ones on the street.

The town homes in Lafayette Park, between Belle Isle and downtown, are skyrocketing in value... its a pretty sweet Mies van der Rohe design. Another former co-worker bought in at under 100k for a beat down unit in the recession and it's probably quadrupled in value. He had it on the market and is restoring another home out near the Detroit Golf Club.

Belle Isle is bizarre to me now. Growing up my grandparents took us there frequently. In college we'd zip down there Saturday mornings and play flag football. I need to make it to a grand prix there, scheduling never works.
    $400 per sqft!?! Wow! Got a link to some of your companies work? So a 3K sqft house is over $1.2M build cost?

- - - Updated - - -

That sounds cool. Would love something like that.
    Dear boy, I work at Planet Eclipse, don't you know..

Insider
    Between 130 and 150 $/sqft seems to be standard around here for new construction. Maybe close to 100 with builder-grade trash fixtures.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    absolutely amazing. Definitely makes me feel better as a common pleb.

Living in the southeast, $80-125 per square foot is a bit more common to see, though the luxury mansions easily start to exceed $150 per square foot. Have a relative that's living in a >7000 sq. ft. house that runs about a cost of $175 per. My own property is in a pretty nice neighborhood but short on lot space running $102 per square foot. Then again, other than the Houston area, I can't think of anywhere in the country where home prices are this cheap.

At one point we were thinking about moving out to California to be closer to where my daughter can get treatment, but to live in a house like the one we have now would run about $1 million in LA. That would require a lot of changes in priorities for our family.

Edit: Wow, per the McMansionHell rules in the link, my house is a McMansion. It certainly doesn't feel like it to me. Of course, I also have a family of 5, so having five bedrooms (1 converted to my wife's home office) felt tight rather than excessive. Good perspective to get, though.
    Last edited by Unfated33; 06-21-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Insider
    My firms website is www.desarch.com
    It?s old and hasn?t been updated in years. A new version is being deployed first week in July I think, with a lot more recent projects and of course my snazzy bio.