Page 350 of 418 FirstFirst ... 250300340348349350351352360400 ... LastLast
Results 3,491 to 3,500 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Do you have any experience with it?
    i designed and made the structure of it, but i never did any of the testing. we made it for decreasing the cost and PITA associated with making hardened concrete.

we made it for sale in japan, im not sure its commercially available here. my coworker now supports production efforts. I'll ask him what the brand is (in the lab we often don't ever actually hear/see the actual brand facing names for things).
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Wondering it you guys are selling it under the 3m name here or it might be getting licensed or whatever you want to call it by one of the big admixture companies. Sika, basf, masterbuilder, wr meadows, all of the normal players offer a curing compound

I was fighting the nyc Ddc about using it on some sidewalks we were doing in cold weather, they were trying to cut a dollar a square foot of sidewalk off the price because we were not using the curing compound, when in their own specs and all the manufacturer specs it says to not use it when the temperature is under 40 degrees. We won the argument and got paid but it is a sore spot for me right now lol

Insider
    Concrete is... fun!

House (lol mansion) i'm working on now had super shitty soil bearing capacity (lakefront, shocker!). Used some funky gravel stabilizing system and POOF! Extra kip of bearing capacity (also widened the footings a foot...).

My favorite new additive (not actually new) is Krystol Internal Membrane. Pretty slick stuff. Just toss a bag into the mixer (bag dissolves) it forms a permanent waterproofing property within the concrete. When it cracks and water penetrates, it crystallizes and grows to fill the crack/pores whatever.

LEED is... a royal pain the ass!

I've done LEED buildings for commercial, education and private residences. The intentions are good but there's a lot of silliness which doesn't amount to much more than greenwashing for the basic certifications.

The costs for commissioning buildings to get the certifications are huge, and largely glossed over ("leed doesn't cost more to build" is bullshit). I have not seen it requested on a non-government related project in quite some time now. We'll adopt a lot of the concepts into our detailing anyway, but by and large private clients have no interest in paying for it unless there's a political gain to be had (for instance an insulation company we specify just certified their new factory/warehouse...).

I've taken prep courses for the LEED exam, but never bothered with it. Its far easier on my end to just hire a consultant which does it all day. When LEED first was introduced you could get the cert from a couple afternoon lectures. Its gotten progressively more detailed and onerous to do so, especially with the (fractured) specialty certifications now offered.
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

its not a curing compound, its a film for application over the concrete, to keep it wet during curing.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

That is interesting I would dig seeing that. It could be real useful in concrete molds and forms if that can go between the form and the wet concrete so we know that we can get proper curing against a form,

Does it have a form release agent when its against concrete or is if something that is not supposed to be pressed against the wet conc?

Googling 3m concrete curing film isn't brining me any results.

Anything is better than burlap as that tends to leave the shit stains on the finished conc. And regular cloth or plastic covering helps but unless it is paired with a humidifying system it not to great either.

Did they ever do testing with silica fume as one of the portion of pozzolans? Silica is great for high strength and early strength but it eats water like crazy and it is really easy to not properly hydrate a silica mix if you are not using a curing chamber or even better a curing tank

Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    That is interesting I would dig seeing that. It could be real useful in concrete molds and forms if that can go between the form and the wet concrete so we know that we can get proper curing against a form,

Does it have a form release agent when its against concrete or is if something that is not supposed to be pressed against the wet conc?

Googling 3m concrete curing film isn't brining me any results.

Anything is better than burlap as that tends to leave the shit stains on the finished conc. And regular cloth or plastic covering helps but unless it is paired with a humidifying system it not to great either.

Did they ever do testing with silica fume as one of the portion of pozzolans? Silica is great for high strength and early strength but it eats water like crazy and it is really easy to not properly hydrate a silica mix if you are not using a curing chamber or even better a curing tank
    you know, i just don't know. i asked the product guys by email today about the name of it, so we can find it.

ill let you know when i hear about it.

i found an old name for it actually, maybe its the current name: 3M* Concrete Water Supply
    Curing Control Sheet 1117

googling it isn't super helpful either.

basically its a film with micro channels that use capillary action to cover the entire surface evenly and keep it wet, even against evaporation. without pumps or anything like that, totally passive.

i don't remember much, because it was a pretty simple thing on my end. im not sure about the chemistry, i just made the channels.

Whoa:

Check this out: