Page 372 of 418 FirstFirst ... 272322362370371372373374382 ... LastLast
Results 3,711 to 3,720 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

When we're in my wife's Escape, it's almost exclusively satellite radio. I think we switch to a local station about once a year, for the Trivia contest that's coming up again in April. In my own car, which is too... um... vintage to feature neat things like SXM, Bluetooth, and an aux audio port (yet does have a power retracting antenna that I hate), I took a different approach. Bought a $10 Bluetooth speaker at Walmart and paired my phone to it. The stock speakers in a 2004 Taurus wagon aren't great, so I'm not loosing out on much quality of sound, and I can stream whatever I want from my phone.

Insider
    I used to love Satellite Radio...

But Sirius/XM has done way too much shitting on the consumer for me to keep it.

I get that things cost more with inflation, changing licensing, etc.

But when they yanked the streaming service and made it an extra fee, bridge burned. If I had a reliever that wasn't locked into my car's audio system, I wouldn't care, but since I do... yea not paying for a car only service.
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

The one problem with my speaker is that either i get too much road noise or i prefer to listen to at max level so some things are droned if the item is undervolume. Other than needing to pick up device to change whatever, the simple radio interface is more muscle memory, which is why i would get a new head unit.

But overall Sirius/XM need to get their head out of their asses and keep costs down. With more internet access via cars and phones, the want/need for sat radio will go the way of hashtags

Insider
    Yup. Pandora, Podcasts and my own library are more than enough for most road trips.
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

holy smokes, crazy hot date last night. gonna be a thing. pretty excited.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

We SUCKED tonight at bowling. We were pretty good at drinking though. Call the night about a push.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    We SUCKED tonight at bowling. We were pretty good at drinking though. Call the night about a push.
    YAS

man id like to get back into curling again. there is a part of the official score board to call for more drinks. its amazing.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Celery is to bowling as ranch dip is to beer. The night sounds like it was a success.

I reached into my fridge last night for a beer, discovered the only thing remaining was a Pineapple Chai Stout. It did not get finished. Hrm. Next time I'm starting with the bourbon.

last night thought i'd impress this new woman, she likes Manhattans and brown hard liquors. im like, this isn't my first rodeo, kassy likes old fashioneds so i know a thing or two about making them (despite hating almost all mixed drinks, because there is already the perfect drink: beer). so i go to pick up vermouth, and see man, there is martini brand vermouth, being a racing fan, and a porsche racing fan specifically, the brand martini certainly carries some weight, so i buy it. grab an orange too. confident that after banging cocktail is going to be on fucking point.

so we get to the post-banging cocktail part of the evening, and i let it slip that oh, i have vermouth, want a Manhattan. we go out to the kitchen, it find out, i bought DRY vermouth. which i guess is for making like actual martinis. no idea what is in an actual martini.

i guess i gotta go and buy sweet vermouth.

this is why beer is a better drink. the supply chain is SO much simpler. you buy the beer, you drink the beer, you place the container in the recycling. its vertically integrated with all the steps in the chain accounted for and without waste. you don't end up with 3/4s of a fucking orange at midnight on a tuesday night. you dont need 200 dollars in miscellaneous bottles to make one damn drink, and if you are missing something, god fucking help you its gonna be awful. buy the beer. drink the beer. place empty in recycling. cradle to grave supply chain management.

there is also a perfect built in PID loop for beer drinking. you can fucking kill yourself drinking most things, but beer fills you up. so you slow down, basically creating and overdamped drunkenness curve that you have to try pretty hard to knock out of wack and get yourself into too much trouble.

really. the monks were right. buy beer.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 02-20-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Insider
    Alcohol is a trash drug for self moderation generally. It is just such a great social lubricant for the introvert, though.

I really love being a 240 pound lightweight, a single quality beer of decent strength puts me in a great headspace and feels net-positive. I notice anything beyond 2 drinks the next day, though. Our corporate culture is fairly beer-centric, and we have a few zymurgists on staff, so there's usually good stuff on a Friday afternoon.

Also I enjoy the anecdote that begins with confidence in your mixology and ends with making a "Manhattan" with dry vermouth and an orange, for some reason. Props for owning it.

I'd recommend just having a few high quality bottles of whiskey/scotch on hand, sans any adulterant accouterments. It's a super easy neg to hate on cocktails - "that's for children".

related:
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-06423-5
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."