Page 396 of 418 FirstFirst ... 296346386394395396397398406 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,960 of 4172

Thread: The OT thread V1

Insider
    The new vette is gonna sell like hotcakes starting below 60k.

Mechanical keyboards are a scary rabbit hole.

I use a Corsair at work which is nice, and have a silly RGB something or other at home

Insider
    I have to humbly withdraw my opinion of the C8 Corvette stated previously.

Damn.
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

The Skyactiv-X HCCI engine? I'm interested in seeing how it performs in the real world. Hopefully there aren't too many reliability issues. My intuition says it'd be sensitive to atmospheric conditions and fuel characteristics, but I'm sure Mazda did their due diligence in their design.

What was the base price of the C7? Under $60k sounds good to me, but I thought Corvettes were always cheaper than their competition.

Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    The Skyactiv-X HCCI engine? I'm interested in seeing how it performs in the real world. Hopefully there aren't too many reliability issues. My intuition says it'd be sensitive to atmospheric conditions and fuel characteristics, but I'm sure Mazda did their due diligence in their design.

What was the base price of the C7? Under $60k sounds good to me, but I thought Corvettes were always cheaper than their competition.
    I agree I am super interested to see how it holds up. I would think it would have been much simpler to get the dieseling effect if they got rid of the camshaft in place for a hydraulic or pneumatic controlled valves to be able to tune in that timing better, I dont think it is a variable cam in it but maybe there is some extra foolery going on with it as well. My big fear with those cars is the conditions wont end up being right to diesel the car more often than not and they wont be getting the major benefits in the real world that they were shooting for. Than again it is Mazda they are the strange engine kings, I guess, and usually build a good product.
    Last edited by Florypb505; 07-19-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Insider
    They're direct injection. The control schema can therefore be remarkably good with modern electronics:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...93608015000878

If you've ever tried to tune a car's fuel trim transients without some manner of adaptive algorithm (e.g. Megasquirt with the old acceleration enrichment algorithms) then you'd know port injection is basically a trash technology only saved by the incredibly wide safe lambda window of a high octane low compression gasoline engine with spark plugs.

The C8 is pretty awesome - the brake sizes suggest rear weight bias, which means they've finally figured out what Porsche knew in 1963: fast cars on a track want to have a maximal traction circle under braking to hold the fastest trail braked line (paging gordo). Most of the disadvantages can be mitigated with driver aids. Probably the last non-electric Corvette.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

The precision of fuel injectors also amazes me.

Good eye on the brake rotors sizes. It'll be interesting to see how braking distance has improved since the C7.

New Ion: I use the Das Keyboard brand keyboard and loved it when I first got it. Still do, but I take it for granted now.

I did not need a fancy keyboard, but I got one because my only other choice was a modren, complete shit, flat, wants to be a laptop, keyboard.

The cost is ridiculous for mechanical keyboards and that has to be taken into account, but I say mechanical keyboards when possible. I remember when that was standard and they cost $17. Now we only have a choice between complete shit keyboards for very little or mechanical ones for $100-200. A DB9/PS2/whatever to USB adapter and any random keyboard from the early 1990's would probably have done me just as well as the keyboard I bought though and cost allot less. Cannot recall if was not an option or I just did not think of it at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Florypb505 View Post
    I agree I am super interested to see how it holds up. I would think it would have been much simpler to get the dieseling effect if they got rid of the camshaft in place for a hydraulic or pneumatic controlled valves to be able to tune in that timing better, I dont think it is a variable cam in it but maybe there is some extra foolery going on with it as well. My big fear with those cars is the conditions wont end up being right to diesel the car more often than not and they wont be getting the major benefits in the real world that they were shooting for. Than again it is Mazda they are the strange engine kings, I guess, and usually build a good product.
    So the whole idea is that it doesn't actually diesel.

As Lurker mentioned, it's direct injection. It's my understanding that when you try to get gasoline to diesel, it's too unstable (as you mentioned). You also need a much leaner mix than you would in a normal ICE engine, so you can't just fall back on spark plugs to reliably ignite the mix at the right time.

So what they do is run a really lean mix as if they were going to diesel, but then instead of relying on auto-ignition, they squirt just a bit of extra gas in the cylinder at compression and ignite it with the spark plug as it comes out to ignite the whole cylinder.

Someone correct me if any of that is wrong, I don't know a whole lot about it but that's what I've gleaned from articles. Seems like all you really need to worry about is having a suitably high-pressure injection system.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 07-21-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

skyactive X is pretty amazing the new vette is gonna be fantastic (though it still looks like garbage).

back from the regional burn. have burner hangover and disappointment with normie culture even worse than last year.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    So the whole idea is that it doesn't actually diesel.

As Lurker mentioned, it's direct injection. It's my understanding that when you try to get gasoline to diesel, it's too unstable (as you mentioned). You also need a much leaner mix than you would in a normal ICE engine, so you can't just fall back on spark plugs to reliably ignite the mix at the right time.

So what they do is run a really lean mix as if they were going to diesel, but then instead of relying on auto-ignition, they squirt just a bit of extra gas in the cylinder at compression and ignite it with the spark plug as it comes out to ignite the whole cylinder.

Someone correct me if any of that is wrong, I don't know a whole lot about it but that's what I've gleaned from articles. Seems like all you really need to worry about is having a suitably high-pressure injection system.
    That makes sense, gives it a broader range where they will be able to get close to the diesel ignition effect in a broader range of situations. Did not know they were going direct injection either but it makes sense to do it, funny how companies are just following standard diesel engine practices to gain more mpg out of gas cars, it is just taking them an additional 2 or 3 decades to really start using it in mass. I assumed/hoped they might have been more going this route

https://jalopnik.com/what-its-like-t...ine-1529865968

And that was really exciting to me but what they are doing is definitely squeezing out the last that they probably can from petrol efficiency unless something really new comes around.