Page 41 of 418 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: The OT thread V1

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    Oh, I know. But I am not a scared helicopter parent, and they are far more likely to hit somebody due to their age and experience, so that could be a plus. Getting them a good simple stick roadster with good gas mileage that limits the passengers, is easy enough to repair that they can help me do it and limits the stuff they can carry has benefits also.
    When I was young and stupid my focus saved my life when I rolled it on the interstate going 70. All I'm gonna say.

Quote Originally Posted by evil_racecocker View Post
    I want to buy one of theese:

http://exomotive.com/exocet/

And find a cheap miata with a blown engine. Then swap in a V6.

Hopefully sometime in the next few yrs. Have my own shop to machine and fab what I need. Just have to get back surgery first and recover from that.

Thinking mabyee an Audi engine. I just know that I want some transmission I can put paddle shifters on.
    Oooh, I like that. I have been looking for something like that for a while, but why don't they make the tube frame look better on it's own like the Atom one does?

Quote Originally Posted by evil_racecocker View Post
    I want to buy one of theese:

http://exomotive.com/exocet/

And find a cheap miata with a blown engine. Then swap in a V6.

Hopefully sometime in the next few yrs. Have my own shop to machine and fab what I need. Just have to get back surgery first and recover from that.

Thinking mabyee an Audi engine. I just know that I want some transmission I can put paddle shifters on.
    as a guy who is literally choosing between a 997.2 C2S and a caterham 7 for my next car, i have a hard time with these kit car mash ups. several of my miata friends have said this is a better option, but i have a hard time in a world where good, quality, used lotus 7 clones exist to think of doing one myself.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    My golf is an absolute pain to work on. All the special 12 point Allen keys makes my head spin. It's fun as hell to drive though, very safe and my stripped out tdi gets 50 mpg.
    Yeah, I drove my TDI hard, 140 mile per day round trip and then 2500 miles to Texas. LOVED the car. Drove it hard and never delivered less than 42mpg. Dealer said it had a new timing belt... it didn't. Knackered the heads. My son was just born and with 2 in the 'littles' stage still I decided to sell it.

...my focus saved my life when I rolled it
    Yeah, they are on the list also. Great little cars. Was car shopping with an ex-gf and they had a 4 door SVT, I totally geeked on it. I taught her how to drive stick on the test drive, got her a great trade in on her car, and she grabbed it. Best car deal I have done yet. All the upgrades, 20,000 miles and $10,000.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

why dont you just buy the 12 points?

buying tools is always fun. tools are amazing philosophical instruments which allow one to change the world around them. love buying more. any chance i can get.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

That's fantastic.
    OlllllllO

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    why dont you just buy the 12 points?

buying tools is always fun. tools are amazing philosophical instruments which allow one to change the world around them. love buying more. any chance i can get.
    Ooo I have them now. It was a real hastle trying to pull my half shaft to get to the ruined inner boot and finding out that I needed a strange tool to get to common looking bolts. Took a weekend project and made it a 2 weekend project because I needed to wait for the damn tools to ship to me. They are not something that I could source locally to me unfortunately. It gets annoying not being able to locally source tools parts and lubricants usually for a vw that is a pretty common car sadly.

That was a hell of a weekend project. Replaced the master cylinder, brake lines, rear calipers, rotors, front caliper rebuilds, pads, rear struts, front strut towers, tie rods, half shaft boots, front wheel bearings, shifter bushings, sub frame bushings, and steering rack bracket. The car was falling apart I honestly don't believe that the Germans know how to make good quality rubber with the issues in the last few German cars I have dealt with.
    Last edited by Florypb505; 06-03-2015 at 01:13 AM.

German engineering is overrated when it comes to cars. VW, Audi and common Mercedes are all crap when it comes to build quality and reliability.

Scientific equipment, on the other hand...

Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Birmingham, UK (originally a Seattle native)
    Did you see that guy who swapped a TT's chassis/4WD system to a VW Caddy?

Evidently knows exactly what he's doing, but the build thread is here: http://www.edition38.com/forums/inde...owtopic=512010

I'm very tempted to copy him, but don't have a workshop. Or a Caddy. Or a TT. Or a welder.
    Attached Images Attached Images