Page 99 of 418 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast

Thread: The OT thread V1

He is hysterical, although it becomes pretty obviously staged towards the end.

I love Mehdi. He makes EE fun.

Well, we (My Formula Hybrid team) finally got the notice that the faculty won't be funding us and has left us a grand total of $2500... before a bunch of reimbursements need to happen.

So I guess we'll be firing up the phones.

That sucks. I'm the new president of the paintball club at my school and am just finding out how hard it is to get money from the school. Also, last I checked, our motorsports club (Formula SAE) gets over $100k before company sponsorships. You guys usually get around the same amount? Those cars are super expensive. Plus the machine time that goes into them.

Last year we had funding. Our FSAE team gets SFA as well... Our faculty just doesn't fund engineering clubs, sadly. The ESS does, but can only really give ~$600/group/term.

I found out that our "Funding" was really a bunch of EcoCar grants that were supposed to come in... But never did.

Really, its a load of shit that the teams don't get anything, most of us are competing internationally and it looks great on the school. It's pathetic that the faculty doesn't have a sticker on the car, yet the students society does.

Jw, what school you at?

Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

I'm at Georgia Tech. IIRC you're at an engineering school in Cananda. I want to say Queensland-something... Does the faculty at your school sponsor clubs/teams separately from the school? All the funding for clubs here is directly from the student government.

Edit: Steve, you must be working on Paragon stuff. I think you posted that before.

Quote Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
    I'm at Georgia Tech. IIRC you're at an engineering school in Cananda. I want to say Queensland-something... Does the faculty at your school sponsor clubs/teams separately from the school? All the funding for clubs here is directly from the student government.

Edit: Steve, you must be working on Paragon stuff. I think you posted that before.
    I'm at UVic. Wrong side of the country :P

The faculty does crap all for our teams. Absolutely nothing. Each team has a "Faculty Sponsor" but really they allow us to have a bank account and don't do much else. MAYBE a bit of networking.

Our Engineering Students' Society is the largest donator by far, but like I said, it's 3 digit sums 3x a year. the UVSS (whole uni student's soc) provides like $200/term or something like that.

It'd be really nice to get more funding from the UVSS, but they're too busy with their crap and seemingly doing nothing for our students.

Genuine question - does your school have a club specifically for POC, that all students pay for, but only POC are allowed to be involved with said club? Not sure if this is a UVic thing or a common thing.

NJIT is trying to sponsor teams more with our new dean.

My concrete canoe and steel bridge teams get about 50k a year from school money and fund another 50k a year from outside companies. They send out about 2000 donation letters it's a tax right off and the Tristate has a huge amount of Civil based companies. 2 companies provide 25k a year in support for our bridge team.

Of course this comes with winning. Our canoe team is new and has taken the region win 3 out of the first 4 years it's been around.

Our bridge team has won the region for a decade and 13 of the last 15 years, and currently sits 6th nationally and the highest ranked school in the Tristate area.

Our Baja team just received school support this year after about a decade of mediocrity and no funding. The new dean of Engineering is big in competitions to boost school appeal, which makes sense, and he has put in about 50k into Baja this year, providing them a shop and materials. It's a good start for them they are some good kids with not a ton of direction though.

Okay, I kind of lied a bit.

My FH team gets the space that EcoCar was working in, but of course no longer occupies as we didn't get EcoCar 3

So we have a space to work, some tools and a dyno... but it's not like we get annual funding. I wonder if I could pitch it to the dean? I'm on pretty good terms with him.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    I'm at UVic. Wrong side of the country :P

The faculty does crap all for our teams. Absolutely nothing. Each team has a "Faculty Sponsor" but really they allow us to have a bank account and don't do much else. MAYBE a bit of networking.

Our Engineering Students' Society is the largest donator by far, but like I said, it's 3 digit sums 3x a year. the UVSS (whole uni student's soc) provides like $200/term or something like that.

It'd be really nice to get more funding from the UVSS, but they're too busy with their crap and seemingly doing nothing for our students.

Genuine question - does your school have a club specifically for POC, that all students pay for, but only POC are allowed to be involved with said club? Not sure if this is a UVic thing or a common thing.
    POC being people of color? Not that I'm aware of. I don't think a club at my school is allowed to explicitly restrict membership based on race. There's certainly some underlying racism in some groups, mainly fraternities, but nothing official "reverse-racism" type stuff.

I'm surprised that something like that exists at your school. Is racism/under-represented ethnic groups a big issue there?