Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dirty DNA

Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Jaccen View Post
    Agreed that the board was supposed to be a universal board to skirt the pb patents, wider audience, greater revenue, etc.

While Emag/Automag users are a minority nowadays, they are a majority (along with cocker users) when it comes to dumping money on upgrades, enhancements, repairs, etc. Not catering to them eliminates a large part of your marketplace.
    With the open source micro controller movement there just is not a market for a $90 Attiny84 board as a universal board. 5 years ago there might have been. If you are looking for something like that check this out.

Some size comparisons

Left to Right
    - CR123A
    - Dirty DNA
    - Dirty DNA Button
    - Pro Micro (clone)
    - Teensy 3.1 (OSH Park edition)

Last edited by Dirty Engineer; 12-15-2014 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Picture fail

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Engineer View Post
    Progress

With the open source micro controller movement there just is not a market for a $90 Attiny84 board as a universal board. 5 years ago there might have been. If you are looking for something like that check this out.

Some size comparisons

Left to Right
    - CR123A
    - Dirty DNA
    - Dirty DNA Button
    - Pro Micro (clone)
    - Teensy 3.1 (OSH Park Addition)

That's looking mighty fine.

PM7 board, Various ICD boards

E2 Karnivor

SR with Teensy and 128x32 OLED
    Last edited by Dirty Engineer; 12-14-2014 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Picture fail

Would you happen to have the Eagle source files available? A BOM, Gerbers etc... wouldnt hurt either. make the OSH park order public? (so its searchable on their site)

Have you got a board Stuffed and tested yet?

Would you be willing to move to an ARM based chip? (likely M0+ due to cost) Freescale and LPC jump to mind for chips in that form factor.

If you want a cheap/small expansion header.... well there are too many, its a matter of finding something that cheap/easy to use because its common use in another form factor/device. No one likes crimping little wires. of course current could be an issue, but that stuff should be driven off a mosfet on another pcb?

I might be able to find some time to give a hand on this project. Need to wrap a few others, which may lead me down the path of making something like this for a different industry.

Heh, lets see um try applying a Paintball patent to electronics designed for a industrial application.

Make it properly open source, and you might not have to put your programmer hat on

-Levi

Quote Originally Posted by saber63 View Post
    Would you happen to have the Eagle source files available? A BOM, Gerbers etc... wouldnt hurt either. make the OSH park order public? (so its searchable on their site)
    Ideally this is the plan in one form or another.

Have you got a board Stuffed and tested yet?
    Not yet. The schottky diodes are on back-order till the middle of January. Another issue is burning the boot loader to the Attiny84 chip before assemble as it can't be easily programmed in-circuit. I have one of these that I plan on using

Would you be willing to move to an ARM based chip? (likely M0+ due to cost) Freescale and LPC jump to mind for chips in that form factor.
    The Teensy has an ARM Cortex M4 processor.

Make it properly open source, and you might not have to put your programmer hat on
    Honestly I think there are too many things standing in the way to see the current design of the DNA moving forward. Maybe this is why Curt has perceivably abandoned it.

I would like to however push forward with an open source variant of the DNA. A simpler board influenced more from the PaintDuino and GCode projects with the intention "to make an low cost Arduino compatible (board) that anyone could program for themselves or even make for themselves if they can handle surface mount assembly" (moorejl57).
    Last edited by Dirty Engineer; 12-17-2014 at 11:45 AM.

I dropped you a pm

Order of purple goodness finally arrived from OSHPark

Can you tell me the spacing of the buttons on the button board? And what are the other pieces for?

The button spacing is 1cm (.4") which will work with both angel lcd and eblade frames.

The other boards are one I designed for various other projects.

Top left is a ESP8266 WiFi module breakout board.

To the right of that is the dual mofset board I previously mentioned that uses the same mofset arrangement as the DNA.

Next to that is a breakout board for a 5 way navigation switch which I would like to possibly incorporate into a future paintball board design.

The 2 tiny board next to the button board are just to add mounting holes to various boards that don't have them.
    Last edited by Dirty Engineer; 01-08-2015 at 10:28 AM.

soooo happy.

HAve you tried putting the big3 (dirty dna, oled, and 3 button) in an angel lcd frame? is there room for the battery with the oled in the window spot? I have a designer ready to build a 3d printed mount for the three pieces if i could get my hands on a set all wired up

Jeff
    Last edited by jptheripper; 01-08-2015 at 11:24 AM.