Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anodizing Barrels & Bodies

Insider

Anodizing Barrels & Bodies

Okay... Starting the stripping process today with a few older barrels and bodies before going on to the new stuff.
    I will post pics as I go through the process to share the results.

Insider
    going to post pictures here shortly...Process for stripping ano was a bit longer than I expected.

Insider

Very cool start!

What do you do after the parts are stripped? is there something to clean the stripper off? We have seen a couple of bodies wrecked where areas seemed to have been over stripped so I am curious if someone stripped them too long, or stripped them multiple times?

BTW that picture really shows the difference in barrel porting between the Stella and some of the others!

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Very cool start!

What do you do after the parts are stripped? is there something to clean the stripper off? We have seen a couple of bodies wrecked where areas seemed to have been over stripped so I am curious if someone stripped them too long, or stripped them multiple times?
    I ran them through a rinse in distilled water (I changed this every time I ran a few barrels through...definatly want it clean......this got a lot of the excess chemical and loose material off of the barrel before I put them in another clean rinse of distilled water.
    Ultimately stopping the process of chemical removal upon its final rinse.

So the next step is now polish a few...then clean the compound off the parts...rinse...then final anno prep... gotta put get all the oil from fingerprints and anything else off of them... then the fun part starts.

I know a lot of people don't use the proper chemicals and try to find something off the shelf at the local hardware store ... I think these products cause a very aggressive removal of material..to much for a precision piece like a gun body.
    Especially if you walk away and aren't watching your run...
    I check each part about every 60 seconds after its in the stripper for about 4 minutes.

Another issue maybe that they go cheap and don't mix it right. Not enough water...too much chemicals = very concentrated solution.
    Another issue maybe that they leave it too long in the stripper and this causes excessive material removal...aka not paying attention.

One thing I did notice is the difference in the quality of aluminum in each barrel...inception and dye barrels went fast....smartparts/gog was a little longer.... axe barrel was the longest by far...lots of excess gunk on it that needed rinsed off.after stripping... I hope its not as bad when I dip the stock body first.....(fingers crossed)

Watching this thread. Will you be looking to do work for hire? If your work is quality, I would be glad to send people your way.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by theboss33 View Post
    Watching this thread. Will you be looking to do work for hire? If your work is quality, I would be glad to send people your way.
    My thoughts are to do personal projects first (got 3 axes to color and these barrels)... if that works out without issue, I don't see why not.
    Probably bring a few these (if they are done) to extravaganza.

Insider