Thread: Freak insert and barrel specifications/standard?

Freak insert and barrel specifications/standard?

Hey Simon, I wanted to check something with you, regarding proper standards for freak inserts (and for freak-compatible barrels). I'd like to get the real standard out there to make sure anyone building barrels to suit em is using the right dimensions, same goes for the inserts.

What I'm working from currently:

Insert: .740-.741" Diameter, (5.065-5.070" length?)

Freak bore without retention oring: .743-.744" diameter bore, 5.055-5.060" depth

Freak bore with retention oring: .745-.750" diameter bore, 5.060-5.070" depth?

Would really like to find out how close to the standard these are, but most of all I'd just like to see that standard published for easy access.

Our dimensions are in millimeters.

Insert is 128.52 +/- 0.04 External bore is 18.82 +/-0.04 bore size tolerance is +/-0.015

Our bores are set up with the o-ring system, accepting bore is 19.05 +/-0.05

Wayne
    mm? For curiosity's sake, why? Although, the Trracer bolt drawing was in mm as well IIRC.

Metric because it's manufactured in more than the USA, and Metric is standard for engineering drawings. Many domestic machinists "work" in inches preferably, but still often work from Metric drawings (they are most common in my experience, except when it comes to less advanced domestic jobs).

Good to see how close those metric specs are to what I'm working with, I'll translate those into inch standard specs for a drawing that us small business guys can work from
    Last edited by ApoC_101; 07-06-2012 at 04:36 PM.

They are made in Taiwan. Sometimes it's more straight forward to give them the drawings in metric so they don't make mistakes when converting them. We also have two Europeans on the design team so sometimes it's easier for us to design in Metric if it isn't needed to be compatible with Imperial components.

When it comes to some hardware etc. that has become standard we design in imperial. We really do both for different reasons. Can be confusing but it's not a big deal.

Simon, regarding the Freak XL inserts; are your above dimensions still valid with the sole exception of adding 3" to the original insert length? So an XL insert length of 204.72 +/-0.04?

I know this post is old, but it seemed best to ask this updated question here.