Thread: the 911 problem ... paging jack .... mr wood please report

the 911 problem ... paging jack .... mr wood please report

the problem with the 911, is that they are all so good, and for such different reasons. a late model 911 is a spectacular car, perfect for what i want it use it for, useful, reliable, practical and fast, and cool. but having driven the older air cooled cars ... there is nothing on wheels like an aircooled 911. just a machine that exudes everything a car should be, the lines are classic, the sound, is perfect, the feel of that flat 6 with a nice a propeller on the back, it sounds like your driving a turbo-fan above 4,000 ... there is something there too.

my choice is also compounded by the fact i already do on a vintage Porsche from the same era. my 944 turbo has been a great car, a car i'll probably never sell. and to buy a 80s vintage air cooled 911, it would fit in the kind of slot in my garage as the 944, a car i daily as often as possible, but, its also a near 30 year old german sports car, its not absolutely the most reliable car in the world. and parts arn't cheap. I'd prefer to not have another project (i have 2, arguably 3 of those already).

I don't need a car for its numbers anymore, i have racecars for kind of stuff. I want a cruiser to daily, and a 911 of some type, but i can only pick one. the car would see a few autocrosses a year, nothing crazy, and i'd leave it mostly stock.

i was all hands on deck for 997.2 C2 or 997.1 C2S ... but i got 964s stuck in my head again. they seem to not be appreciating in value the same as the pre-SC cars and 993s are. a nice 3.2L or a 964 .... awfully tempting. awfully tempting.

life choices ...

social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

My uncle once owned a 911 for a few years. The life of the car quickly went downhill after a quick drive through downtown Charleston, SC, which left his car turning left at a light while his right front wheel took off for the straight path. I guess the joints weren't the strongest, but it was amusing to watch the tire go a good 30 feet on its own. After that it was one maintenance headache after another - I don't remember him ever having it out of the shop more than a few months at a time before he unloaded it.

All that said, they're beautiful beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfated33 View Post
    My uncle once owned a 911 for a few years. The life of the car quickly went downhill after a quick drive through downtown Charleston, SC, which left his car turning left at a light while his right front wheel took off for the straight path. I guess the joints weren't the strongest, but it was amusing to watch the tire go a good 30 feet on its own. After that it was one maintenance headache after another - I don't remember him ever having it out of the shop more than a few months at a time before he unloaded it.

All that said, they're beautiful beasts.
    probably deferred maintenance. a good PPI, never forget a good PPI
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.