Thread: Insight NG

Insight NG

I just got a Bob Long Insight NG. It's one of the first batches made (G6R style trigger and single piece barrel) but it has the updated engine, bolt, and o-rings. I haven't fired it yet because I'm waiting on my low pressure spring for my stealth reg to arrive, but the guy who sold it to me dry fired it for me when I bought it and he had an SLP. I know bob long guns need low pressure (he says it's for efficiency I say it's because the internal gas line isn't built handle 850psi long term). My question is weather or not I need a pressure tester. I know it's a good idea for guns that have an lpr, but since the Insight NG doesn't have that, is it really necessary? Right now it's at stock dwell with the reg set to the bare minimum pressure the marker will still fully cycle with. Since there is only one reg, do I need to do anything other than chrono? If my understanding of regulators is correct, the output pressure is the same at a set output no matter the input (assuming the input is greater than or equal to the set output) so as long as the gun is chronoing at 285 with stock (9ms) dwell, the gun should perform as it should without any need for further adjustments or pressure testing. Is this a correct assumption? Thanks.

You chrono it just like you would any other gun with one regulator (Geo, Clone, Vanquish, Luxe, etc). So yes.

To clarify tyronejk's post, no, you do not need a pressure tester.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Thanks guys. So if I want a smoother shot I turn dwell up and pressure down right?

Yes, but only up to certain point does increasing dwell result in an increase in velocity. I don't how the stock Insight is set up, but I'd think that the stock dwell setting would already be near the region of max velocity.

I haven't kept up with the changes made to the Insight platform, but the original model had to have an increase in dwell right out of the box to avoid some critical issues. I think it actually had a marked decrease in efficiency to get them running correctly.

The first run also had missized orings and a bad bolt design. They were all updated with new engines. My board has the stock dwell at 9 and when I got it it was set to 12

I've owned several Insights and have done a lot of tuning and oring experimentation with them. If you have any questions, please let me know. I'm very familiar with the platform.

As for "smoothness" I recommend setting the dwell around 10.5ms and adjusting the HPR for velocity. More dwell is not always smoother and I found the marker to shoot nicer with a slightly lower dwell, myself. You absolutely do not need a pressure tester. It's just short of a waste of time with the Insight since there is no LPR....no regulators to balance.

I would recommend maxing out the BD (ball delay) setting and running urethane 70 010 orings on the ram sail (two rear) and brass switch (internal). I found that Lurker lube gave the best results and lasted the longest and I would highly recommend picking some up if you don't already have it.
    OlllllllO