Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stella Barrel question?

Stella Barrel question?

So I am about to order a Stella barrel and I have a question. I will order the Freak bored back and match it to a slimline front. On the order page in various locations, it says that the .697 front should be used with the Freak bored back.

Can the .689 front be used with the bored back and inserts as long as the insert is smaller than.689?

I get that the transition would shred paint if the front is smaller than the control bore, but is there any other reason that it would not work? I never use anything larger than a .684 any more.

Thanks for any insight.

No having the smaller front won't be a problem, as long as you don't exceed the front size. The .697 is only to insure that you won't have a problem.

Insider
    Not so sure about that. Isn't Stella back 8" long and freak control part only 6"? That would mean there's a 2" larger bore section between the front and freak controlled section.

I agree with Laku; because the Insert back needs to accommodate all potential Freak inserts, that section beyond the insert needs to be a large bore size. Going from a 0.684 (as you mentioned in the OP), to the 0.695 section of the back, to 0.689 might introduce problems so is is recommended to use the full backs to ensure a smooth transition as the ball exits the barrel.
    The taller one at...pretty much anywhere I go.

Just repeating what i have heard Simon say. Not my own views. Since the "man" is incommunicado at PBE, we will wait till he graces the interwebs with his presence...

I have my own views, but shall not discuss them here at this time.

Well, I guess I will find out soon enough. I placed the order this morning. After reading your posts, it does make sense that there would be a gap right in the middle of the barrel with a .695 diameter transitioning to .689.

I will take a close look at it when it arrives and see if Paintball Gateway will swap it out for the larger bore if it looks dicey.

Must be a reason Simon said a .697 bore should be used in conjunction with a Freak back......,

endeavor to persevere.......

Yes, and there could be more than 1 reason...

Yes, the final section of the insert back is a larger bore, 0.695" so it's not recommended to then stage back down to the .689 front, although we do seem to have many people doing it without any problems, especially when using much smaller insert sizes.

OK, thanks for the reply. I guess like you said elsewhere in a thread about inserts, .006 of an inch is not very much.

I'll think about it and let you know how it turns out in my build thread here...

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4656025

I hope PBE went well for you!