Thread: Old Machines

Old Machines

On occasion I have to do some repairs to plastic injection and diecast molds. Usually when an ejector pin gets snapped off. Some of my molds are from the ealrly 60's. When I have to do repairs to those I break out the tig welder, and Pantograph templates. Don't think many shops anymore use these.

We actually have six that are in pristine condition. Although 4 of them are covered in cosmoline and in storage. I know there are a few machinist on here, thought you would get a kick out of it.

We have an engineer at our shop that has been a hobbiest knife maker for many years. He has like 3 of thes set up for different ratios and template plates. He swears by them.

pentographs are so cool

We actually took the spindle out of one and retro-fitted to one of our Wells Index CNC mills (knee mill). Those little spindles can handle high rps and hold amazingly tight tolerances.

old iron is best iron.

i used to work in a shop that made parts down to 2 or 3 millionths, using a jig grinder from an old WW2 destoryer as its base. that old hand scraped ways iron is good stuff, and if its been taken care of, it never goes bad.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.