Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hybrid Cars

seriously tempted for a pure EV. my lifestyle is perfect for it, short commute to work, and if im driving a long ways, im taking a sports car.

just need an electric miata ....
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Man, if I could afford it, I would buy a kitted-out Tesla Model S in a heart beat. It hits all the right luxury notes for me - better than an Audi or a BMW - and it gets 250 mile range on a charge. That's more than a week's worth of my daily commute. At least two people that drive my route have them, and I can't stop drooling over the hub caps. The "if I could afford it" is the serious sticking point with pure EVs.

Insider
    I drive 10 minutes to work every day and rarely go any further than that, as soon as 100% EV's are available that arn't priced ridiculously in NZ I'll be getting one.
    Alex Hodge
    Product designer @ HKArmy
    Designs | Videos | Linkedin

Mm, it's the pricing though. Here in NZ we get zero incentives or government rebates, so we get stiffed on EVs and PHEVs. Nobody drives EVs here, there's just been zero interest despite our gas prices. The only thing to half sell here is the Outlander PHEV with about 130 sales to date nationwide (population 4mil)

I was wrong about the Volt, it actually retailed at $85000 here, not $80000. There's no tax incentive either. No wonder so few sold. They've just cut that to 70k. $85000 nz is something like $64k USD.
    https://www.instagram.com/vijil/
    I draw guns and spaceships and bunnies

Insider
    I'm hoping to coax my car to survive long enough that the Tesla Model 3 will be available... Supposed to be priced down in the "affordable" range.
    Draws houses, doesn't own markers that aren't single tube designs, unapologetic AGD zealot.

If you want a EV, come to GA, I see tons of Nissan Leaf with 20,000 miles for $12,000

The cheap hybrids really are not offering that much of an incentive here once the price difference is taken into account. Not to mention the battery replacement price In the not so distant future. Battery tech is getting a ton better but it still isn't fighting gas at the moment. I love the performance advantages to these hyper cars though.

I still wish diesel sold better in America the stigma is hard to shake. I've been perfectly happy putting heavy miles on my little golf with my 120 mile daily commute. Get about 50 mpg highway and it's still a fun little 5 speed with a turbo to drive.

I can't wait for the small diesel trucks to come back out the new Nissan frontier looks like a winner to me. I just hope that if diesel gains some popularity the price of diesel will eventually fall, it's artificially high because I guess the demand isn't there. Diesel hybrids would also help the standard car market a little better as well It benefits from getting better mpg and is a bit more reliable then it's gas counterpart.
    Last edited by Florypb505; 03-05-2015 at 12:13 PM.

It's not always a new battery that is needed: http://imgur.com/gallery/j8Bcp/
    Destroyer of Threads