Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel threads

They really were awfully thin.

Knowing what we know now about barrels, they're not ideal. Then again, neither are the LAPCO barrels we all loved back in the day. After I'd heard what happened to Colin (RIP) over there, I never bought another LAPCO product again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    What makes you think it's ideal to extend the control bore to the tip?

You think that's air you're breathing now?
    I meant tip as in the front half of a two piece barrel. Like the empire sniper barrel kit how the backs thread into the tips and the control bores extend pretty far in to them unlike say a boomstick which works the other way around and loses control bore length to the tip.
    My tourney setup: Polished Insight NG_Spire with ramp and Crown SF_14in Dye UL .684-Crossfire 68/4500 with LP spring kit
    My just for fun setup: System-X autococker with CP reg, aftermarket clamping feedneck, WGP internals and flame drop (because I like it hot)_Dye rotor with Virtue Crown 2.5 and Virtue SoftCycle arm_Ninja 48/3000 aluminum tank with Guerrilla Myth reg

i wonder, are modern commercial machine tools accurate enough to hold a ~ 5 thou taper +/- .5 over 12-14 inches? if they arnt, they should be. and if they arn't, it shouldnt be to tough to set them up to do tapered boring. that isn't after all that tough a machining problem.

my bet is its a pretty specialized taper so if you talked to a shop about it they would say "oh yeah we can totally do that" and then they would bore and hone it pretty straight, and then when you point this out to them, they would put there hands in the air and run away.

but in house ... someone could probably do it.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I have actually begun to believe the abrupt discontinuity in ball contact -> little/no ball contact in the transition to the tip plays a role. I suspect if you put a taper on it like that, the ball would choose a side of the internal bore to follow.

Could definitely be interesting to study, though.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i wonder, are modern commercial machine tools accurate enough to hold a ~ 5 thou taper +/- .5 over 12-14 inches? if they arnt, they should be. and if they arn't, it shouldnt be to tough to set them up to do tapered boring. that isn't after all that tough a machining problem.

my bet is its a pretty specialized taper so if you talked to a shop about it they would say "oh yeah we can totally do that" and then they would bore and hone it pretty straight, and then when you point this out to them, they would put there hands in the air and run away.

but in house ... someone could probably do it.
    do you want a $1000 barrel

cause thats how you get a $1000 barrel
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I have actually begun to believe the abrupt discontinuity in ball contact -> little/no ball contact in the transition to the tip plays a role. I suspect if you put a taper on it like that, the ball would choose a side of the internal bore to follow.

given up on the crownpoint cover band barrel now?

i dont think any barrel features can solve the accuracy problem, and i think there is a TON of data to back that up. the accuracy problem is inherent in shooting round, light, seamed, not that round actually, balls with a random amount and direction of spin at relatively high velocity.

i do think barrels can provide consistency and efficiency improvements, and that there is an ideal barrel geometry that could include tapers, that would be best for both.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
    do you want a $1000 barrel

cause thats how you get a $1000 barrel
    assuming you had a machine to leave in that configuration, it would be no more expensive than a normal barrel.

IE cycle time would not be greater.

Insider

It was done, if memory serves me right, in CF on the TM-11. They used a tapered mandrel to wind the fiber on, and then would freeze the setup and pop the barrel off.

The mandrel would be easy to turn if somebody had the right shop to wind it. Bond it to an aluminum back and you have your tapered barrel. In CF.

That would be cool tech.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    given up on the crownpoint cover band barrel now?
    Never!
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    Never!
    that barrel rings like a bell. it was fun to shoot at least.

at 15bps, Clarence would have gotten his wings way earlier.