Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel threads

Barrel threads

It seems logical that by now all paintball markers should be AC threaded right? Even SP pulled their stubborn head out of their Ion threaded ass and got with the program with the new Shocker. However, AC threads kind of suck. They take forever to screw in and out and have only a single thread. Ion/Luxe threads take a very few turns and are double threaded making it easier and faster to line them up. Even so, my favorite barrels are the automag twist locks. They are instant to install and they include the breech section making the bore of the breech match the barrel. I think that paintball should as an industry change all threads to a more reliable and functional system and keep cocker threads around for good. That makes only two types of threads being produced industry wide, one new type to be implemented on all markers in the future and one that already is used on 90% of existing markers.
    My tourney setup: Polished Insight NG_Spire with ramp and Crown SF_14in Dye UL .684-Crossfire 68/4500 with LP spring kit
    My just for fun setup: System-X autococker with CP reg, aftermarket clamping feedneck, WGP internals and flame drop (because I like it hot)_Dye rotor with Virtue Crown 2.5 and Virtue SoftCycle arm_Ninja 48/3000 aluminum tank with Guerrilla Myth reg

Moving from shocker to cocker threads was the only thing that bothered me about moving from an ion to an ego!

It's funny, real steel barrels are typically easier to deal with.

Cocker threads are basically just terrible from a user friendliness perspective (I can only assume they make up for it in other ways?), and running BTs at a field was a nightmare when packing up

Twist lock would be amazing. A universal system that could allow all barrels to align correctly would make something like the ws66 hop up barrel practical without crazy secondary locking mechanisms.
    Last edited by vijil; 03-23-2015 at 12:27 AM.

Insider
    Uh, have you guys seen PBSteve in a while? This thread makes me fear for his safety.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Uh, have you guys seen PBSteve in a while? This thread makes me fear for his safety.
    Why?
    My tourney setup: Polished Insight NG_Spire with ramp and Crown SF_14in Dye UL .684-Crossfire 68/4500 with LP spring kit
    My just for fun setup: System-X autococker with CP reg, aftermarket clamping feedneck, WGP internals and flame drop (because I like it hot)_Dye rotor with Virtue Crown 2.5 and Virtue SoftCycle arm_Ninja 48/3000 aluminum tank with Guerrilla Myth reg

Mag twistlock barrels would never work in todays world. The manufactures could never make a gun with enough meat to house the open breech area, nor have an area to have the twistlock locking pin. It is alot.

AGD did so cause TK felt that people could not make a breech area to his desired tolerance, or something like that, but the overiding fact that the players wanted lighter bodies and to use other than mag barrels(more selection).

ICD 4 point threads are twice as good as SP threads, but the machining time adds up, hence the oush to cocker single point threads.

But, i am sure that Simon will discuss the mod that can be done to cocker threads, as that was done to the Axe Pro freak that makes cocker barrels better.

I hate twist locks.

Cocker threads are fine with me.
    endeavor to persevere.......

Insider
    If he goes quiet for a while, I fear most for the people on his s*** list's safety.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Oh god you're right.

PS - ion threads are better in every way.

Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Insider
    What is the outside OD of Ion/SP threads? I thought they were larger than 1"? Or am I wrong?

I liked ICD Quad threads myself, but like the Ion they tended to rattle out without an o-ring.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com