Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Barrel threads

It's smoothbore until the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfated33 View Post
    Ha, yeah - my questions at the top were not directly answered so it might be hard to follow. Steve posted a picture of the barracuda, which I think they abandoned after testing it with Gordon and Bryce. Not a lot of direct info ever was given up, but it appears to have straight rifling and crazy porting, obviously. I think it must get a lot of comments from the crowd every time you use it Ryan.
    its a tapered fluting. it goes rather deep into the barrel, starts small, and as you get closer to the muzzle, expands and less and less of the barrel is at bore size, most is relieved by the flutes.

i keep referring to the sound, because that was very striking. like an old crownpoint, it rings like a bell. clear, and for a long time. PING. PING. its certainly unique to shoot.

i thought it was fascinating how efficient it was. it didnt improve accuracy with regular paint, but it was more efficient than one would think based on its bore size and the amount of porting. there is certainly something to it ...
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

oooooo I must haves it

Insider
    A extended Crownpoint? I bet it sounds awesome! I think I still have one from back in the day.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Supports Inception Designs
    Why did i just see this thread now...its sooooo full of win.

Also...want super crownpoint...

Also...old angel threads for life! (Has nothing to do with the fact that i have 100+ to sell...)

But here is a conundrum. If the twist lock of a mag so good, why can no one sell the old barrels, no matter how low or good the barrels are? Sure bore sizes are an issue, but still. Twistlocks because they are quick removal are not the best. Again, the defacto standard being cocker barrels, only for the fact that there is a metric ton of barrels already out there, as well of a ton of guns already threaded for it.

If anyone wants to change, then it better be a one of the big companies like PE, forcing the change across the industry. Only then will the other companies be forced to complay with a better barrel(overall design) for the 21st century.

Thing is, I wouldn't deny that Ion/Impulse threads have a lot going for them, almost entirely on the engineering side. There's a few things going against them as well.

First off, SP never gave them an actual name until fairly recently. When they brought out the Impulse, if they'd called them "Smart Threads", they could have easily carried that name on them forever. A name may not be a technical issue or concern, but if you name an item something stupid, it's not likely to thrive.

Second, really, nobody other than Smart Parts and its sub-companies jumped on board. Even there, some of the nicer Shockers ran Cocker threads. So Impulse threads are found on the Impulse, Ion family, and Luxe. Even the popularity of the Luxe hasn't given a huge rise to the Impulse threads. Meanwhile, every other high end gun, and most of the mid-range guns, on the market? Cocker threads.

Third, there's still a Smart Parts stigma out there. OK, they were assholes about how they did business. A bunch of people around that same time frame were, but nobody remembers that. Granted, I don't think the Gardners were smart (haha) about how they pursued what they wanted. They essentially guaranteed the player base would hate them. What they really needed back then was a better PR department, but it is what it is. To this day, people will still make a face when someone brings up Smart Parts... to the point where it was genuinely shocking (I'm on a roll) that they'd dip back into that memory well with Shocker Paintball being SP.

Finally, the best thing on the player side of things for Impulse threads is that it doesn't take three weeks to turn a barrel onto or off of a gun. Simon's brilliant short Cocker threads, picked up by Planet Eclipse and Empire, have solved that problem.

That's just one idiot's opinion, though.

As far as branding goes (which is the first 80% of your post) you are 100% correct.

It makes me wonder if a manufacturer couldn't roll them out as _____ threads (come up with your own name) and call them imp thread compatible, and people would be more on board. Then again, it would also create confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    Finally, the best thing on the player side of things for Impulse threads is that it doesn't take three weeks to turn a barrel onto or off of a gun. Simon's brilliant short Cocker threads, picked up by Planet Eclipse and Empire, have solved that problem.
    The only thing about that is it doesn't solve the shank length, excessive diameter, or fine pitch issues. I'm a bit concerned about longevity as well, I won't be surprised if we see the "quick threads" wear out over a couple years in dustier playing conditions. Maybe it won't be an issue, but certainly they'll wear out faster than imp threads or even full cocker threads.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Has anyone in here ever had barrel threads wear out ?

I know I haven't.

I've yet to ever hear about that happening.
    endeavor to persevere.......

I've had threads grind down pretty significantly, and the quick thread spec only gets about 2 threads of engagement.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon