Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel threads

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    If he goes quiet for a while, I fear most for the people on his s*** list's safety.

as for the topic, I agree but I think AC threads are the closest the industry is ever going to get to a standard, too much co-operation required between different companies

I would love to be proven wrong though

I feel as if the consumer has essentially dictated AC threads as the standard by sheer popularity, not by some widespread engineering decision by manufacturers
    Last edited by ElPanda; 03-23-2015 at 05:00 PM.
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
    I feel as if the consumer has essentially dictated AC threads as the standard by sheer popularity, not by some widespread engineering decision by manufacturers
    That's definitely what's happened.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    What is the outside OD of Ion/SP threads? I thought they were larger than 1"? Or am I wrong?

I liked ICD Quad threads myself, but like the Ion they tended to rattle out without an o-ring.
    I don't know bout you but I throw an oring on every barrel I come across that doesn't have one.
    My tourney setup: Polished Insight NG_Spire with ramp and Crown SF_14in Dye UL .684-Crossfire 68/4500 with LP spring kit
    My just for fun setup: System-X autococker with CP reg, aftermarket clamping feedneck, WGP internals and flame drop (because I like it hot)_Dye rotor with Virtue Crown 2.5 and Virtue SoftCycle arm_Ninja 48/3000 aluminum tank with Guerrilla Myth reg

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    i do actually think, if you provided a stock barrel solution to the so called barrel problem ... no one would care what threads it was.
    This only applies to reasonable people. We aren't selling to reasonable people.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Most of the online forums make more sense once this point is understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    the trick is making the alternative easy.

see luxe batteries

see luxe regulator

everyone bitched and moaned when it came out (me included), but it works. and the gun has never been more popular even 5 years later ...

you can break the standard, and people might bitch and moan online. but ultimately, if the solution you have actually works, and the rest of the gun isnt shit, then its fine.

sell the damn thing with a cocker threaded adapter, just to make it "backwards compatible"

also, don't try to out cynic the paintball cynic ryan ... haha
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

WDP had onboard rechargeable batteries and even metric threaded regs. Even Dye with the Hyper3s or Egos with the SL3 have proprietary regs. Nothing is new, it does help that one of 2 things will happen. 1)the parts are so poor, that anything other than stock is an improvement. Which 15 to 20 years ago was nearly the industry standard 2) the market to make replacement parts is not there anymore. Gone are the days of places like KAPP making for the market anything and everything. The player doesn't want to pull out a new gun, then dt5ch this and that to make it work better. They want to pull it out and play with it, then possibly sell it or trade it.

You can play know in today's game, if you can see a gun's deficiency and actually improve on what's stock. But you better hit the market quick and fast because a gun's usefulness is quickly replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    WDP had onboard rechargeable batteries and even metric threaded regs. Even Dye with the Hyper3s or Egos with the SL3 have proprietary regs. Nothing is new, it does help that one of 2 things will happen. 1)the parts are so poor, that anything other than stock is an improvement. Which 15 to 20 years ago was nearly the industry standard 2) the market to make replacement parts is not there anymore. Gone are the days of places like KAPP making for the market anything and everything. The player doesn't want to pull out a new gun, then dt5ch this and that to make it work better. They want to pull it out and play with it, then possibly sell it or trade it.

You can play know in today's game, if you can see a gun's deficiency and actually improve on what's stock. But you better hit the market quick and fast because a gun's usefulness is quickly replaced.
    yup, now its becoming commonplace to have non-standard regs because stock regs are now good enough that replacement is not necessary.

and as far as batteries, there have certainly been rechargeables, which were then seen as a liability not a feature, thus the move to a standard (9volt), but again, once they become good enough, rechargables are now back.

this is the way i look at barrels. we know enough now to know that most stock barrels are more than good enough for most applications, and with select features, i dont see a reason why they need standard threads really.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    yup, now its becoming commonplace to have non-standard regs because stock regs are now good enough that replacement is not necessary.

and as far as batteries, there have certainly been rechargeables, which were then seen as a liability not a feature, thus the move to a standard (9volt), but again, once they become good enough, rechargables are now back.

this is the way i look at barrels. we know enough now to know that most stock barrels are more than good enough for most applications, and with select features, i dont see a reason why they need standard threads really.
    Let's not forget that most new guns these days are macroless and require different reg designs in order to accept air and regulate it back out from the same place. Unlike barrel threads there was never a chance for the industry to standardize a universal macroless reg design. The luxe is compatible with regular regs if you add a macroline and the SL4 regs on the Lv1 and 3.1/5 work the same as the macro kind with he exception of the hose itself being a metal tube, but if I'm not mistaken, pretty much all other macroless guns either have a proprietary reg built into the ASA (Axe/Vanquish/Crossover) or they have their own design for regulating air and rerouting it back to the same direction that it came in from (Insight/Shocker RSX). The Valken Proton has it's reg built into the grip frame.
    My tourney setup: Polished Insight NG_Spire with ramp and Crown SF_14in Dye UL .684-Crossfire 68/4500 with LP spring kit
    My just for fun setup: System-X autococker with CP reg, aftermarket clamping feedneck, WGP internals and flame drop (because I like it hot)_Dye rotor with Virtue Crown 2.5 and Virtue SoftCycle arm_Ninja 48/3000 aluminum tank with Guerrilla Myth reg

The crossover reg is removable - you can replace it with an adapter to mount a standard ASA and the volumizer is threaded to accept most standard regulators. In this way, they allowed players to abandon their reg design if desired, though in the wild I only saw this happen once or twice. I was tempted before my reg fully broke in, but afterwards didn't really see the point. While I don't think that is necessary on every marker, this kind of transitional step helps players become more and more comfortable with moving to macroless regs (in the same way as the Luxe or LV1 descriptions above).