Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel threads

Quote Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
    indexed threads add significant time to manufacturing setups

however something like the old twistlock barrels are well suited for features like that because they are pre indexed by design
    Exactly why I love them so much. Imagine a barrel system that had a twist lock breech that took breech/barrel inserts (not thin ones like freak but like thick stainless steel ones) and had the rest of the barrel thread over it. The control bore could stretch from the back of the breech all the way to the tip porting.
    My tourney setup: Polished Insight NG_Spire with ramp and Crown SF_14in Dye UL .684-Crossfire 68/4500 with LP spring kit
    My just for fun setup: System-X autococker with CP reg, aftermarket clamping feedneck, WGP internals and flame drop (because I like it hot)_Dye rotor with Virtue Crown 2.5 and Virtue SoftCycle arm_Ninja 48/3000 aluminum tank with Guerrilla Myth reg

Quote Originally Posted by FutureEngineer View Post
    Exactly why I love them so much. Imagine a barrel system that had a twist lock breech that took breech/barrel inserts (not thin ones like freak but like thick stainless steel ones) and had the rest of the barrel thread over it. The control bore could stretch from the back of the breech all the way to the tip porting.
    So you want to create a insert barrel but with 14" inserts and in a twist lock?

6"-8" is the acceleration zone, and while i do prefer 1 piece barrels, the logistics of having inserts like that is going into the ludicrous state. It would be actually less costly to have 1 piece barrels and use a twistlock adapter(but have it so you can remove it like a TW barrel).

Twist locks when new some 15 years ago always had that +$10 to the price because of the extra material or the non-standard machining. They are also heavier(some people do try to cut weight on their guns). Though the latter plastic detent was incredible over the piano wire ones.

Take a look at a Vector barrel. It is a twistlock of sorts. That is more to what you want to do. Now getting that onto a modern gun, that is another story.

also having a control bore extend beyond the detents is essentially pointless and creates a whole new set of problems with the bolt diameter interacting with breeches of different sizes

biggest benefits of twistlock are seamless travel of ball to barrel exit, indexed orientation, and super quck removal and breech cleaning

Insider
    You could always go with F2 Illustrator barrel mounting. Slide-in thin breech with a screw to hold it. Wire detent.

The Vanguard barrel was basically a 14-16" control bore, same with the VM-68 barrel. In fact, that would be a kinda brilliant setup to bring back, if you want to flip between different barrel backs and keep the same bores.

Hmm....
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

The Lucky/Hero/Vanguard/whatever else they called themselves barrel was a great concept that worked well. Their two biggest problems seemed to be the lack of anything in a smaller bore size, and an utter lack of being able to stay in business for any length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    The Lucky/Hero/Vanguard/whatever else they called themselves barrel was a great concept that worked well. Their two biggest problems seemed to be the lack of anything in a smaller bore size, and an utter lack of being able to stay in business for any length of time.
    while reading this i was thinking "and the whole staying in business part" but then you brought it home for the lulz

well played.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
    The Lucky/Hero/Vanguard/whatever else they called themselves barrel was a great concept that worked well.
    Until they snapped in half.

I have seen more snapped Lucky barrels than all other designs combined.

Which is unfortunate because you could definitely design them so they don't do that.

Insider
    The Vanguard barrels are mighty thin. I have a handful at the house from the shop. I like them, hard to ship also they said. 18" single piece barrels don't fit in a box as well as a 12" and 7".
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Insider
    What makes you think it's ideal to extend the control bore to the tip?

You think that's air you're breathing now?
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."