Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel threads

I've got 0.917" on the major for my Ion/Imp thread spec.

For comparison 'cocker threads are 0.93".
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

'Cocker barrels flat out have an excessive amount of material in both the length and OD of the shank.

Impulse threads:
    Major - 0.917"
    Shank OD - 0.820"
    Length - 0.869"

Cocker threads:
    Major - 0.930"
    Shank OD - 0.865"
    Length - 1.250"

The length is the killer. And there's still enough material on the Impulse threads for a freak insert style barrel.

Edit: and that's all apart from the advantages of a coarser pitch and quick-disassembly of the double lead.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 03-23-2015 at 11:16 AM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

i like "new" angel threads

#shotsfired
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

FUCK IT LET'S USE THE OLD ONES

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Uh, have you guys seen PBSteve in a while? This thread makes me fear for his safety.
    I lol'd for real.

The only thing I like about Cocker threads compared to Impulse/Ion is making them on a manual lathe.

Insider
    One thing I do like about the 'cocker barrel length: It moves the hopper back a bit more, in a stacked arrangement, so you have more room for valving, and the hopper placement is a bit more in the middle of the gun.

In an inline, the shorter threads can make for a smaller marker. Say if we came up with a 1/2" deep barrel thread.

We could always recess the barrel if we wanted to add length I guess, but it does make for a nice layout in some applications.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

As you pointed out, that's why the cocker design is so long- it's a stacked tube gun, so it doesn't matter. The valve chamber sits under the barrel, so the extra length is fine.

Also as you pointed out, it's easy to cut back to correctly position the feedneck on a stacked tube gun. Heck, even with the extra length cockers still have a cutback. Inline guns don't have the luxury of nearly arbitrary length, so they're the constraint any good standard barrel thread should have been designed around.

But alas, the current standard was spontaneously adopted even though I doubt it was ever intended to be a standard when it was designed, and it seems we're stuck with it.

with barrels no longer being a "must replace" "upgrade" (for several reasons) are we really stuck with it?
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    You'd think not but it turns out yes.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."