Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This looks like a surprisingly nice Kia...

Birmingham, UK (originally a Seattle native)

This looks like a surprisingly nice Kia...

So, probably already been posted as it's a few years old, but I quite like the look of this Kia Concept.

A GT86/BRZ competitor. I'd love to see one of these with a straight six.

http://www.kia.com/eu/future/gt4_stinger/

Insider
    The BMW/Toyota next generation Z4 already has my theoretical money. Given how FRS/BRZ sales have softened I wouldn't hold my breath for the ultraniche sports car.

There's a reason Miatas get the hairdresser's car reputation, and it has to ddo with the fact that there aren't enough young, impractical, manual driving petrolheads.

Aside: I'm kind of shocked Madison avenue hasn't tried to sell young women on performance cars like this directly. A girl driving stick is always coolandhot.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Birmingham, UK (originally a Seattle native)
    Yeah, I know - this sort of thing would be very nice, but at the end of the day it's a very very small market.

The only reason I drive a small car is because of insurance. I'm working up the funds to build a sleeper.

On the side note - yeah. Seems a bit weird. Then again, I only know one girl who doesn't drive stick, it's just normal in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    The BMW/Toyota next generation Z4 already has my theoretical money. Given how FRS/BRZ sales have softened I wouldn't hold my breath for the ultraniche sports car.

There's a reason Miatas get the hairdresser's car reputation, and it has to ddo with the fact that there aren't enough young, impractical, manual driving petrolheads.

Aside: I'm kind of shocked Madison avenue hasn't tried to sell young women on performance cars like this directly. A girl driving stick is always coolandhot.
    this post.

i approve of all of it.

spot THE FUCK on.

the sports car is more or less dead. dead to the notion that one must have one car, in order to satisfy all requirements a car could possibly be needed. i own 3 2 door cars, without back seats, RWD, no traction control. and get all the time dumb ass questions like "what do you drive in the winter time, thats RWD" .... ah, this. casue RWD doesn't just mean ill instantly die. "oh dont you want to for example, drive to lunch with your coworkers?" ah, no, no i dont. why would i buy another set of doors and seats, for my coworkers? "oh you bough a house, and do lots of the work on it yourself ... you are gonna need a pick up truck" WHY on gods green earth would i buy a 40k dollar vehicle, to save me two trips to the store to buy pavers?

it has even got as dumb as one time a very kind woman coworker, who was feeling a bit maternal i think, offered to let me us her SUV to get groceries. because "that car is too small to get groceries in"

seriously?

i mean seriously.

this worship of practicality, to the the point of it being seriously impractical (buying a truck for the 2 days a year i need a truck is hardly practical), is what has ended the sports car.

and the mid engined sports car? forget about it. dead as a door nail.

this has lead to a rise in foux-sports cars. the WRX, evo, gti, ST series etc etc etc. practical, but fast too. also not real drivers cars either. serious cars, for serious people. the SUV and CUV is also a by product of this, but with essentially no sporting intentions.

what these folks fail to realize is that high on the list of requirements for a true sports car, is CHEAPNESS. if you have a family, and want a sports car, don't buy a 45 grand evo .... by a Camry, and a used s2000. you will be happier in every single way. this is the genius of the miata, they made a million of them. if you think you can't afford a sports car in your life ... they practically give them away for free. you can find good sub 5 grand sports cars ALL DAY.

sorry, sports car dead rants, and the problem with todays car culture
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 04-02-2015 at 11:34 AM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    In a frightening turn of events, I agree with Gordon. Having multiple specialized cars seems superior to having one that attempts to do it all.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

I think the notion of wanting a practical do it all car has to do with cutting costs wherever possible. Multiple cars means multiple insurance bills. Multiple sets of tires, oil changes and other consumables.

That sentence may not be worded best, but I believe that they're related.

That said, I agree that having multiple cars is best. BUT - that doesn't necessarily mean that vehicles like the ST line, STI etc don't have a place. You can still drive a quick, well handling vehicle that is practical, while having your dedicated cars, no? May be forced to take the kids to school, but that doesn't mean you have to be stuck in a minivan.

I wouldn't think it'd be difficult to get a kid or bag of mulch in the back of a 2016 focus RS.

That's kind of what I'm trying to get at.

These 'hot' practical vehicles aren't solely for people who have no other 'hot' sporty vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    In a frightening turn of events, I agree with Gordon. Having multiple specialized cars seems superior to having one that attempts to do it all.
    i also think there are two other forces at play slowing killing sports cars:

the "definition" of masculine in this country seems to revolve around having, again, on those two days you might want it, the biggest baddest truck. that one winter morning, when there is two feet of snow on the ground, it will validate, buying a 40 grand truck, insuring it, and daily driving it. when normal people were like, eh, i got a fridge full of beer, whats everyone in such a hurry about? a 12 pack of beer: more important in a snow storm than your 4wd truck. not to mention, i daily a miata in the winter time in minnesnowta, and have yet to get it stuck, and used to drive a mid engined, RWD, no traction control MR2. your argument is invalid. your "masculine" truck was just neutered by a $500 miata without paint on the front half, because im not a fucking idiot behind the wheel.

and the second one, is the internet racing. the notion that if you buy a sports car, it has to be a big powerful and expensive one, otherwise everyone will laugh at you. and maybe they do laugh at my 90 rwhp miata, but what do i care? im busy power-sliding through stoplights without a single fuck given. driving fun, and power, are two VERY unrelated things. can't tell you the number of folks i've seen in autocross and at the track, who are utterly terrified of the car they brought. if you are terrified of pushing the limits of your z06 at the track or in a parking lot, what is the point of driving such a car on the street? seriously? if you cannot explore the limits of its performance in a controlled environment, what on gods green earth are you doing driving on the the street? i mean thats literally, not safe.

so often, we get novices that show up in z06s and the like, utterly terrified of there own cars. and then if they are serious about learning to drive well, the almost always either sell the z06, or go and buy a second car, like an s2000, miata, mr2, or similar lower power, lighter, smaller car. a car they can learn to drive well on. and they were right to be terrified of there z06s, that car is a beast. a beast even i take a step back against, and im a freaking performance driving instructor.

its frustrating that people think the entry cost of learning to drive well is so high.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 04-02-2015 at 01:39 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    I think the notion of wanting a practical do it all car has to do with cutting costs wherever possible. Multiple cars means multiple insurance bills. Multiple sets of tires, oil changes and other consumables.

That sentence may not be worded best, but I believe that they're related.

That said, I agree that having multiple cars is best. BUT - that doesn't necessarily mean that vehicles like the ST line, STI etc don't have a place. You can still drive a quick, well handling vehicle that is practical, while having your dedicated cars, no? May be forced to take the kids to school, but that doesn't mean you have to be stuck in a minivan.
    wear and tear is a millage issue. since you are driving no extra miles, they are simply split between two cars, instead of all on one. this can actually help your resale value on both cars, and does not add costs like tires etc etc

and insurance on a cheap sports car, is WAY CHEAPER than a hot hatch. Evos, STis, and STs are some literally the most expensive cars in the country to insure. corvettes are far cheaper to insure than any of those hot hatch cars. my porsche, while on paper the fastest and most powerful car i own ... is also one of the cheapest. WAY cheaper than my GTI was.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 04-02-2015 at 01:35 PM.