Thread: Clearances between parts

Clearances between parts

Any suggestions for a good rule of thumb on clearances between parts? Right now, based on my o-ring designs I am looking at a clearance of .005 inches in one area. Is this too small?

Depends on the types of parts and what you want them to be doing?

Is that per side or on the diameter? I would say that is a good start, but depending on what you are doing you may make it wider, or tighter... Your tolerances will be important also and how you call them out.

That would be the difference in the diameter (so .0025 per a side?). The clearance is for the valve that opens and close in a bolt design similar to the L7 bolt.

For tolerances, do you have any recommendations on where to read up on them?

That might be a little tight, but in part it depends on your tolerances.

I don't know of anywhere to read up on tolerances and how to apply them in a paintball application, but you can get "fits" from the machinest handbook. Been a while since I used mine though. A lot of it is something I learnt in school and over time.

Ok. Thanks so much for the help Simon!

If you're doing it as an extrusion gap, then .005" is about right in my experience. That is per side. I typically revolve those types of profiles and use reference lines for the mating body geometry.