Thread: BOSS Axe with issues...?

Supports Inception Designs

BOSS Axe with issues...?

I have a BOSS axe that was sent in from another shop. They said that it was having all sorts of issues and unable to get velocity.

I cleaned it out, the eye board was very VERY dirty and the NT eye pipe in it was bulged in where the left eye was protruding into the milled out breech.

Once it was all cleaned and with the new pipe I got it up and running, cycling fine, shooting paint fine, and set it aside.

I picked it up today to do a final test before it gets shipped out and it's not working again. Now the bolt will cycle all the way into the breech but only has enough air to drop the ball about 8ft in front of the barrel. Sometimes If I pull the bolt assembly out and put it back in, on the first air-up it will cycle and shoot right at velocity, if I turn the air off and back on it starts again with the low velocity issues. Sometimes I pull the bolt out and put it back in and the first shot will be fine but the second and 3rd will start sounding weaker until the 4th shot is the same issue as before. I have even just kept dry firing it and sometimes it will start working mid-shooting but then stop again after I turn the air off/on again.

The bolt guide was re-annoed, it's using a stock bolt/spring all the seals were replaced, poppet and solenoid were checked, dwell was checked, the HPR reg is a new factory one at ~180-200psi, it has a new NT Eye Pipe in it with new Detent ring. Duracell battery tested at 8.93V was tried a new battery with same results as well.

I can pull out a stock bold guide assembly from one of my Axes and it doesn't have the same problems, works fine every time it is aired up and shoots at velocity.

Any suggestions....?

Is it possible the bolt tip drag on the eye pipe is the/a issue?

Sounds to me like you already know what the problem is. I'd check the o-ring grooves on the anodized guide, they may need to be adjusted. Depending on where it was sent for ano, some of the shops really throw parts out of whack between stripping/blasting/anodizing.

Hope it wasn't a shop I like :P

Edit: could also be the OD of the stem causing an extrusion issue
    Last edited by PBSteve; 04-11-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Oh wow I somehow didn't read that line when I responded. Yea, that looks like the issue.

The biggest issues we saw with re-anodized parts causing problems was bolt guides.

You might want to try stretching the poppet o-ring. A loop of pin stripe tape under the o-ring often works.

If the poppet o-ring isn't always sealing it will cause low velocity, inconsistency and bloopers (balls barely making it out of the barrel).