Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IV Core and it's effect on different Geos

IV Core and it's effect on different Geos

I am getting a Geo 2 with an IV core and was wondering how much of a difference it will make. I am not expecting it to shoot like a 3.5 but I would like it to at least be as smooth and quiet if not more so than the 3. All factors like tuning and pressure aside, does the effect it has really differ that much from geo to geo? The core is almost entirely what determines how a geo shoots correct (assuming they are tuned the same under the same external conditions)? Most of the changes from generation to generation were in the core if I'm not mistaken. The only mechanical difference between the 2.1 and 3 that I can think of other than the core was the noid vent adjustment. How does a 2 with IV core compare to a 3?
    My tourney setup: Polished Insight NG_Spire with ramp and Crown SF_14in Dye UL .684-Crossfire 68/4500 with LP spring kit
    My just for fun setup: System-X autococker with CP reg, aftermarket clamping feedneck, WGP internals and flame drop (because I like it hot)_Dye rotor with Virtue Crown 2.5 and Virtue SoftCycle arm_Ninja 48/3000 aluminum tank with Guerrilla Myth reg

From what Jack has said, the new solenoids in the 3+ have done quite a bit to reduce losses, so an IV in a 2 would probably be less efficient than an IV in a 3 just based on the solenoid.
    Last edited by AndrewTheWookie; 04-20-2015 at 01:43 AM.
    I don't know, fly casual

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTheWookie View Post
    From what Jack has said, the new solenoids in the 3+ have done quite a bit to reduce losses, so an IV in a 2 would probably be less efficient than an IV in a 3 just based on the solenoid.
    Ok thanks I can see how that would impact the efficiency. However, my field (I play mostly recball) has air stations everywhere so that's not much of an issue for me. I would really like to know how the smoothness/quietness differs. I love the 3 and have never shot a 2 but side to side the 2 sounds more like a pop and the 3 sounds like a puff so I'm wondering is the I core would make the 2 shoot and sound like that too.
    My tourney setup: Polished Insight NG_Spire with ramp and Crown SF_14in Dye UL .684-Crossfire 68/4500 with LP spring kit
    My just for fun setup: System-X autococker with CP reg, aftermarket clamping feedneck, WGP internals and flame drop (because I like it hot)_Dye rotor with Virtue Crown 2.5 and Virtue SoftCycle arm_Ninja 48/3000 aluminum tank with Guerrilla Myth reg

I think the only thing that makes a 3 smoother/quieter than a 2 is the solenoid restrictor. I think you could achieve the same effect of slowing the forward stroke of the bolt by constricting the flow out of the can. I've never owned a Geo, but I imagine you could fill in some of the vent holes in the can with JB weld. Or maybe if the walls are thick enough (doubtful) you could drill and tap them for some grub screws.

I don't think I agree about the solenoid restrictor here, I would definitely not do any JB weld mods until you try it.

This is only a guess, but I suspect the Geo2 with the IV core would have a very similar signature to a 3.5.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

2014 Axe is more air efficient then a Geo2.

And more customizeable too.

Probably cheaper also.

endeavor to persevere.......

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    I don't think I agree about the solenoid restrictor here, I would definitely not do any JB weld mods until you try it.

This is only a guess, but I suspect the Geo2 with the IV core would have a very similar signature to a 3.5.
    I would try the gun first and see how you think it shoots. There is some variance from gun to gun.

But, tyronejk is correct that it is the bolts forward speed that dictates how a Geo sounds and feels. To be more accurate, it is how fast the main valve opens.

The SFR on the 3+ allows you to slow the bolt speed down by restricting the exhaust air out of the pneumatic sear. But the IVCore also slows down the opening rate with the bolt porting.

So the 2 with the IVCore will sound and feel different to a 2 with a standard core, but it wont neccessarily feel or sound as nice as a 3+ with the SFR turned down.

Hope that makes sense.

Jack
    Dear boy, I work at Planet Eclipse, don't you know..

I get to use my 3 w/ IV core next weekend - can't wait (last I used it was just as a normal 3).

Any more ideas as to why some people on PBN aren't seeing the efficiency that you expect?

Birmingham, UK (originally a Seattle native)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    Any more ideas as to why some people on PBN aren't seeing the efficiency that you expect?
    Well, haven't seen anything on PBN, but a couple friends of mine screwed the screw 5-6 turns into the back because "that's what they said on the forums". Naturally, it didn't really work.

TL/DR - People are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    I get to use my 3 w/ IV core next weekend - can't wait (last I used it was just as a normal 3).

I was one of those people.....perfect 3.5, fresh lube, good oring fitment, underbore, etc. 8 pods and a hopper (Speed) from a 77/4500 filled to no less than 4400 psi. Stock dwell, it shot great and consistent but the efficiency wasn't nearly what I expected. Aside from that, I absolutely loved the gun and already regret letting it go. I'd be using it in the PB Barn 3 man series coming up this weekend if I still had it since efficiency isn't a huge concern in that setting.
    OlllllllO