Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Living Legends 8 bans First Strike Rounds

But rumours are fun Simon . Hope you had a great time at LL, sorry I couldn't get away and visit more.

Talking of which, when do you get your first GI paycheck? lol

Yeah sad we didn't get more time to hang out. Was a great and busy event for us

Supports Inception Designs
    Hey Simon! I'm glad you had fun, and I hope that business was great!

Have you had any direct involvement with the ASTM? If so, do think there'd be any benefit to players (like myself) joining?

I have had some involvement. They mean well but there are some frustrations to the process and people involved. I think it would benefit the community to have intelligent and involved players join up.

I, for one, would love to see you join (so I don't have to) :P

Does it involve travel, Simon? Or is it tele/video conference by now?
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

If you want to be at the meetings in person then travel is needed, but a lot is done by email discussion and voting on line.

If it requires travel, I'm out. My job has me traveling too much for my significant other's liking. If it's not required, but still beneficial, I'll join.

Show me the moneyyyyyyyyyy!

Insider
    I saw a picture a few weeks back of a guy at one of the big games that got bunkered in the head with a first strike round... nasty... I guess the round (or part of it) was actually logged in his skull and he had to have it removed...
    Im sure there is a pending or pursuing lawsuit for it...

I agree with emisnug... fun and very novelty ...but dangerous and in all honesty.. it probably best they get banned until they can be proven safe from testing.

Can you provide us with a link to said photo? I shot a guy squarely in the sternum at 20ft or less and he didn't even know I was shooting something else.

I seriously doubt that it was lodged into the skull, we're talking about a piece of plastic more fragile than plastic cutlery. I could imagine however, a piece of the shell getting lodged in the skin, in a worse case scenario.

Here's something to consider: How would we 'measure' safety? What kind of things would we look for? What kind of equipment would we use? Once I read the ASTM for paintballs, I nearly laughed when I saw the only thing they tested for was if the balls broke on a piece of plywood. Nevermind that they have in fact caused can scratches/scrapes, cause bleeding welts, give concussions, etc.

Now, I'm not arguing that they shouldn't be tested but, rather we (the community, and the ASTM) need some intelligent thought as to what for, and how. A few years ago, "Lord Odin" did a test of FS rounds against gelatin (not necessarily ballistic grade). Well intended but, it was never intended to simulate skin. It's designed to simulate the average of body tissues a bullet would be expected to travel through, most of which aren't nearly as stretchy/cut resistant as skin.