Thread: The Brew Thread

The Brew Thread

So I realize that we're all technically inclined people. I also realized I really enjoy beer, and for some reason I figured most of you do as well.

What are your favorite brews? Right now I'm enjoying a Dominion Oak Barrel Stout, it is pretty good although not the best I've had of its style.

Anyone homebrew?

Wayne
    I do, but rarely. I have a blackberry porter that came out bomb diggity with crazy ninja homebrew alcohol. I don't know what the final % is, but 8 oz is more than enough to give many of my friends an unexpected buzz.

It's this color
    Last edited by desertT1; 07-13-2012 at 05:01 PM.

My typical reach for a beer is Labatt's Blue.

I used to be a die hard Guinness drinker but it's hard to get a decent one around here.

I turn 21 tommorrow so I don't know about this stuff ;].

It depends on the day. After mowing a huge yard in Texas on a hot summer day I like a corona. If I'm at a party whatever is free. If I buy it, I've been trying basically just what I have not tried so far my favorite is terrapin which I believe is a local beer from Athens, GA. I'm one of those fortunates that just loves the taste of practically every alcohol, aside from Rose Tequila...bad bad bad choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    My typical reach for a beer is Labatt's Blue.

I used to be a die hard Guinness drinker but it's hard to get a decent one around here.
    It's my understanding that most of the Guinness you get in the states is actually brewed in Canada.

Insider
    I used to be into beer, including doing some fairly involved home brewing. When we started doing all grain/ extracting/ lautering it was just too much time for a weekend activity.

As a drinker, which I partake infrequently these days, I like a few:

Dogfish head 90 Minute IPA - best IPA on the planet, IMO.

Anchor "Steam" Beer - a unique brew with ale and lager yeasts, really good paired with food. Don't drink it too cold, definite cellar-temp sweet spot

Duvel - My go-to higher end belgian triple. I prefer it over Delirium Tremens because it has more spicy/saaz bite to it. I like both better than more traditional belgians like Chimay or a trappist beer.

If you haven't, try a kolsch - they have a biscuity flavor; very unique and lends a sense of heartiness to a lighter (in color) beer. Victory makes a decent one, and their prima pils is ok too if you're looking for something just one step up from the usual.

Lambic Framboise - definitely worth trying. This may make me a little girl, but I don't care. This isn't really beer, though.

Also, it may just be fond memories hanging out with the PBN folks, but I do recall quite liking Labatt's.

Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by weerez935 View Post
    I turn 21 tommorrow so I don't know about this stuff ;].

It depends on the day. After mowing a huge yard in Texas on a hot summer day I like a corona. If I'm at a party whatever is free. If I buy it, I've been trying basically just what I have not tried so far my favorite is terrapin which I believe is a local beer from Athens, GA. I'm one of those fortunates that just loves the taste of practically every alcohol, aside from Rose Tequila...bad bad bad choice.
    Check out Landshark. It's like Corona, but without the skunky taste and poor aftertaste. Lagers aren't normally my preference, but when it's hot and I want something to gulp, lager is up there.

Quote Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
    Check out Landshark. It's like Corona, but without the skunky taste and poor aftertaste. Lagers aren't normally my preference, but when it's hot and I want something to gulp, lager is up there.
    Will do!

So what exactly is an IPA?
    I've drank quite a bit but actually only been in 2 or 3 liquor stores lol

Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by weerez935 View Post
    Will do!

So what exactly is an IPA?
    I've drank quite a bit but actually only been in 2 or 3 liquor stores lol
    IPA is short for Indian Pale Ale. The Brits love their ales right? Well when India was a British colony, that was just as true. The problem is that regular ales spoil eventually at sea. So, in order to get the beer to the boys before it went bad, it was hopped up, literally. The amount of hops was increased when brewed and the beer lasted the trip. IPA's are quite strong in presence and might take some getting used to. There are some that are simply revolting to me, but others are amazing. Craft IPA's are a safer bet for finding one that you like.

Awesome!

By the way I got a homebrew kit for my birthday with the keg and everything. So in 2 weeks I'll have some homebrew!