Thread: High Speed video of metal cutting...

High Speed video of metal cutting...

Awesome video of chips being made. Love it!

Here's one of mine...not high speed, but slower than normal

check out the awesome chips this guy makes

ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

That made me jump

Questions:

1) I assume the chips are gathered and recycled?
    2) The coolant is filtered and reused?

1) yes depending on the material you are cutting

usually typical steel is so cheap that its not worth recycling, we usually just throw steel chips into the dumpster, also depends on how much you work with specific materials

if you are always working with steel its a different story, worth it to invest in recycling since you will always be producing those chips, but if its only once in a while just trash em

Aluminum is more expensive and worth recycling, we separate solid vs. chip scrap as well, you get a better price for solids since the recycling facility knows what they are getting is 100% that material and not mixed

they will ding your price/lb down if they find it is contaminated with other metals usually so its worth keeping things separated, which can be difficult to do in hybrid shops that run production and job shop work together, I have to clean out the VF-3 constantly to avoid cross contaminating steel and aluminum scrap

2) the coolant "should" be filtered or replaced periodically for sanitation, but I have seen and heard of many shops that literally fill the machine with coolant and just keep running it and topping it off for years

we have a chip vac at work that separates chip swarf, I have also heard of systems that mount to machines that filter the oil and all other contaminants out of the coolant, basically making it brand new

coolant that is years old and stagnates can develop high concentrations of bacteria that are not pleasant to smell or come into contact with, I have heard of many machinist getting fungal infections under their fingernails from working with junk coolant too frequently

Quote Originally Posted by FLounder View Post
    That made me jump
    imagine how he felt
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

i used several of these videos when i was presenting to high school kids earlier this year about careers in science and technology. kids LOVE this shit
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.