Thread: Upgrading coolant on my mill

Upgrading coolant on my mill

Pictures to come in a little.

Really the only thing I never liked about my tormach is the coolant setup.

It is pretty weak all together. It has a 3 gallon coolant tank with a 1/10 hp motor used for 2 coolant lines.

It was even worst how the setup was to collect the coolant. There is a top collector that is a small steel inset rectangle with a screen on it. The coolant then passes through to a tray that has a small hole with a hose that bleeds back into the tank. The big problem with this is the screen would fall off with the weight of chips and then chips would get onto the tray clog the hole and make coolant spill over the side onto the floor. On top of that a good amount of coolant would get into the tank and jam up the little pump about every month.

The new setup is much more robust. I went with an 18 gallon tote (doubled incase it develops a leak) with a much bigger 3/4 hp sump pump. I bought 4 magnetic blocks that pipe in 3 coolant lines each to bring the total number of jets from 2 to 14 in total.

I also welded a bottom on the collector box instead of the screen and I punched a hole out in it for a sink drain. I connected the drain to a y fitting so the heavy chips that get through the drain will fall past the returning coolant and get collected in a cleanout. I also left the sink drain spout long and it covers about half of the y fitting so if I cut anything lighter then water or if oil gets in there it will float on top of the return line so I hope to eliminate a ton of contaminants from recycling through with the coolant.

The new pump rips, it can power all 14 coolant lines without even blinking. If i left them all open it would move the whole tanks coolant through in under 5 minutes.
    some videos at the bottom pictures coming later.

Last edited by Florypb505; 06-13-2015 at 09:56 PM.

awesome job!