Thread: CNC Mill - Rust/Corosion/Galvanic Reaction

CNC Mill - Rust/Corosion/Galvanic Reaction

So I have been fighting rust/galvanic reaction between the table and vise on my Haas Vm2. Thought it was the coolant, so tried different brands. I'm anal about keeping the concentration correct. I check all the machines coolant conentrations in the morning with a refractometer. It got to where I would remove my huge kurt vise every 2 weeks. I determined it had to be something to do with the metal composition in the vise as the rotary table that is bolted down has no rust issues between it and the table.

I tried so many different oils and coatings. I talked with a friend of mine that runs the Manufacturing Program at the college next door and he gave me a can of what he uses to coat everything with to prevent rust, Corrosion X. I have been using this for the past year and leave the vise on for 4 months now. Even then it doesnt need to be removed. Not to sound like an infomercial, but just wanted to pass on a product I found to prevent rust on my equipment. It is thicker than most oils, but doesn't dry like cosmoline, and smells decent. Flood coolant doesn't seem to wash it away either.

http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx.html

we used an old can of gun grease for a while until that ran out

now we use spray on lithium grease and it works great

I have a sub plate designed for our 4th axis in the VF3 and I am wondering how I will corrosion proof it for the long term, I was looking at physical barriers for a while but I have never tried anything like that or seen anything like that done

it is such a hassle to remove the 4th axis when I have a production schedule to keep and job shop work going on that I needed a permanent method of affixing it to the machine so I dont have to worry about stopping for 2 hours to clean everything and get it put away or reattached

I will keep this stuff in mind though, worth a shot
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.