Thread: Project

Project

Hello everyone,

I am working on a project that's unrelated to paintball, but figured some of you with more manufacturing experience could give me a hand. I have a "base" part that I'm trying to make, and was curious how much you all thought it might cost to manufacture. Really, really rough estimate is all I'm looking for.

All tolerances are pretty loose. I am intending for the pieces to all be welded together, but have no real preferred method of manufacture - for example, if water jet cutting is cheaper than machining to make the baseplate, great.

I'd be looking for roughly 14 pieces total. Since the uploader here seems a bit broken, here's the files on my Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxT...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxT...ew?usp=sharing
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Have you sourced the 2"ID tube? I see that as being the only issue. The base 4" material is standard 1/4" bar stock. The rib is simple and can be sheared from plate. Saying that I have always found it better to have my local laser/plasma shop nest parts like this into their normal day to day jobs. You may have to wait a little longer till they run that material but it always ends up being cheaper than I can get the material for.

Your local metal fab shop will have no issue with this (along as the tube is source able. I'm sure metalsupermarket or even mcmaster will have it) I would guess $80-100 a piece for material and fab.
    Last edited by Dirty Engineer; 08-30-2015 at 07:08 PM.

The tube is actually supposed to be 4" OD, which is pretty standard. It wouldn't let me dimension them properly because they had a weldment feature. Thanks though, that definitely gives me something to start with, it's right around what I was thinking.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    The tube is actually supposed to be 4" OD,
    My bad, I failed grade 3 because I don't read that gooder.

Can I ask what its for?

I'm proposing an art piece in Baltimore for an event called "Light City"

http://lightcity.org/