Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stellarator - Feat of engineering and execution

Insider

Stellarator - Feat of engineering and execution

"So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

why america no longer funds world beating research is a level of mortgaging our future for political gain that is simply inhuman.

LHC: we proposed to build this in texas in the early 1990s. congress refused to fund it. if we had, physics would be ahead by about a decade and it would again be the USA at the top of a scientific field.

We functionally give up on fusion research: because congress refuses to fund it.

We stop the manned spaceflight program: because congress refuses to fund it. because NASA also does research on climate change, and we can't have that happen, nope nope nope.

FUCK THIS. instead, for political reasons, we build a space station that really from a scientific perspective was a total waste of time and money. and we think invading and killing brown people's countries is a better use of time and money than world beating research that would turn the middle east BACK into the worthless hell hole it is.

all because congress is a bunch of worthless short sighted morons who would sell out the future of this country, because they hate government so much, they want to drown it in a bathtub.

NOPE

FUCK YAH ALL: SCIENCE WINS

science is the economy of tomorrow.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Insider
    Don't make science about the economy.
    Last edited by Lurker27; 10-24-2015 at 12:31 AM.

to my knowledge, the most advanced scientific machine we are building today is LIGO:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIGO

i was talking to the suspension design engineers about this about a year ago, it is an impressive machine for sure. but pales in piratical usage compared to the likes of function fusion and other such projects the USA has flat out refused to fund.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Don't make science about the fucking economy.
    it always was. it always was.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    if we had, physics would be ahead by about a decade and it would again be the USA at the top of a scientific field.
    Nope.

Insider
    W7-X?

I want $1B for WB-8 and WB-9.

Or hey, a cool $100M for a LFTR or any MSR at this point would make me happy. We did it in the 60's. There are nearly a dozen projects that are going on and our regulation here in the US means they have to go to China, Canada and India to get them even built.

Science and money are always intertwined. But it doesn't mean that is a bad thing, or that the money source always directs the science. Good science normally helps drive a vibrant economy, especially when it involves producing more energy cheaper.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    Or hey, a cool $100M for a LFTR or any MSR at this point would make me happy. We did it in the 60's. There are nearly a dozen projects that are going on and our regulation here in the US means they have to go to China, Canada and India to get them even built.
    Also nope, on all points.

But that anti-regulation bit is hysterical

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    it always was. it always was.
    You realize that it's this EXACT ATTITUDE that ruins science funding? You can't make it accountable to the dollar. Even trying to quantify the impact pollutes the discussion.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...LuoVLPPTG06_Lw