Thread: New Machinery

New Machinery

My new Wire EDM came today...... So Excited. Have projects already lined up. Bought a Sodick VZ300L. This thing came enclosed in a steel crate, which is a new one for me. Already have plans on re-purposing the steel crate into my Ammo re-loading shed. It is hard to explain to people outside the manufacturing industry how a new piece of machinery/equipment can get you excited. My friends just think i'm weird. The Sodick tech comes tuesday to do the install and training. I want to turn it on so bad.

The old EDM was getting tired, good thing is the manufacturing program at the college next door will probably take the old one
    Last edited by evil_racecocker; 01-08-2016 at 03:39 PM.

I still remember my last major machine delivery. Nothing beats the feeling of slipping that pry bar into the first corner of the crate...

last time we had a machine made and delivered they had to take down the wall and use a crane.

all we did at work was watch the crane and construction guys install it. pretty interesting the art of moving massive equipment.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

awesome!
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by evil_racecocker View Post
    . It is hard to explain to people outside the manufacturing industry how a new piece of machinery/equipment can get you excited. My friends just think i'm weird. The Sodick tech comes tuesday to do the install and training. I want to turn it on so bad.
    I dunno man, I've never run a CNC in my life (just aluminum on a small manual lathe a few times) and I'm pretty jacked for you. There aren't many things more primal than tools, and that's a pretty friggin sweet one...

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    There aren't many things more primal than tools, and that's a pretty friggin sweet one...
    Was having this conversation with a friend of mine last night. He's turning SCUBA diving into his life (He's a Marine Biologist... graduate. no job yet) and just recently bought a new camera housing. He was saying how every couple of months he has a need for new tools for his hobby/job.

Wayne
    "Handle with care" Yeah, that 7000 pounds just gets tossed around.

Quote Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
    "Handle with care" Yeah, that 7000 pounds just gets tossed around.
    no joke, i've seen some terrible stuff.

one time a presumed drunk truck operator at a port crashed and rolled a machine. he was never found, he just knew his job was toast, and didnt stick around to find out.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

there is a large press still in operation at the DuPont site I used to work at that was dropped into the Delaware River when it was being unloaded from the ship back in the 50's

they had to hoist it back out a few days later and send it back to Germany to be totally looked over before it was finally shipped back and installed
    ABET accredited level II machinist - CNC Programmer - Mechanical Engineering Technologist
    Rio Grande Inc.