View Poll Results: should PE make cure style bolts for older guns?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • god, i wish

3 50.00%
  • reality is a tough mistress

3 50.00%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: PE should make a cure style cocker bolt

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by pote View Post
    Is it just me or does gordon rarely ever bring anything to the table other than one-sided entitlement and look at me I work for a big company therefor I am better than anything you can ever relate to.....But I digress...

The "arms race" of paintball from a players perspective is what got me to where I am today of running a shop. Every one of my friends started out with pumps and I said screw that I want something faster so I got a semi. Everyone followed and I had to get a better semi, then an electronic gun, then spend time researching why things worked and didn't so I could upgrade my cockers and timmies and other guns to be faster, smoother, more efficient than my friends and opponents. This led down the dark path of trying to know everything paintball and helped push me into where I am today of running a shop selling gear and tuning/maintaining guns. If you don't push the limits of whats possible how will you know whats right and whats ill advised? With the mentality of the arms race is stupid we should all be shooting pgp's and nelspots and happy with 12 grams and 10 rounds tubes playing in the woods.....

OMG This...

This is how I started playing, however all my friends started with spyders mostly and I started with a cocker...quickly spent $100 on parts and repairs and figured I better learn how to do it all myself.

the rest is history...but I remember in the early '00s being there with everyone else trying to get the fastest thing possible...It did shape the sport for better or worse...

Insider
    So this thread derailed slightly while I was away....

Just watched the Pooty vid on that "new" bolt. So, the bolt that was "stock" that he was comparing it to wasn't actually "stock", was it.....
    Dear boy, I work at Planet Eclipse, don't you know..

So, it wasn't modified... it just had a portion removed to make it look like the Pooty bolt. Because he didn't want the Cure bolt to have an overhang that the Pooty bolt doesn't have. He implies that it's because he didn't want both bolts to have extra material, but the truth is he really did modify the stock bolt and he's not exactly clear on that point until you called him on it.

I'm sorry, my credulity today is just really way low. I'm kind of left wondering when that response will be edited to "look better" in the eyes of the buying public.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The gun I created that shot at 40bps led me down the path of how to handle fragile paint in guns and loaders and was probably one of the most important lessons I ever learnt in paintball. That project has had an influence on every gun and loader since.
    you could have done this just the same if you would have decided being gentle on paint was the goal a decade ago, instead of messing around with 40bps guns for years and years. being gentle on paint was a subset of a larger "problem" a problem which was not a problem at all. had we correctly focused on efficiency and being gentle on paint 10-12 years ago, rather than only in the last less than 5, we'd be much farther along.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 01-18-2016 at 03:51 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by pote View Post
    Is it just me or does gordon rarely ever bring anything to the table other than one-sided entitlement and look at me I work for a big company therefor I am better than anything you can ever relate to.....But I digress...
    i present a technology development and industry view that is wildly outside the common paintball paradigm. unlike most outsiders throwing rocks in, i have lived and played paintball the entire time and am as technically versed in the topic as anyone. but unlike most insiders or wanna-be insiders suckling at the insider info teet, i examine critically the decisions made by key players in paintball and its technology development. i've never been one to just "go with it"

personal attacks are simply the admission that you don't have a reasonable, on topic, counter point. so thanks.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 01-18-2016 at 06:00 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post

personal attacks are simply the admission that you don't have a reasonable, on topic, counter point. so thanks.
    That wasn't a personal attack. It was an observation on your communication style. If you're allowed to have opinions, so are others.

But really Gordon, get over yourself. And that's intended to be life advice rather than an attack.

Insider
    Gordon, I think the disconnect here is that the industry is beholden to the whims of the market. Calling the industry dumb for pursuing exactly what the market wanted at the time they wanted it is (wait for it. . . ) dumb.

You can, of course, say the market is dumb, and you'd be absolutely right. But, educating them is not profitable. As always, the problem is supply side economics.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    But really Gordon, get over yourself. And that's intended to be life advice rather than an attack.
    everyone is so very concerned about what i think of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
    Gordon, I think the disconnect here is that the industry is beholden to the whims of the market. Calling the industry dumb for pursuing exactly what the market wanted at the time they wanted it is (wait for it. . . ) dumb.

You can, of course, say the market is dumb, and you'd be absolutely right. But, educating them is not profitable. As always, the problem is supply side economics.
    now that, is a real response.

the market only wanted that, because the tournament organizations (who are beholden to the companies that sponsor them), allowed it to get that crazy. had the tournament organizers held teams and players to legal triggers as the rulebook entailed, that market demand would not have been there in the first place. like noobs talking about full auto modes, well, they more or less were not a market demand, until they were allowed on scenario fields. full auto modes before then were not a make or break reason to buy a gun or not, because there was no where to use them besides your backyard. now of course most major scenario folks, and because of the prevalence of ramping, full auto is more accepted, and thus showing up more and more.