Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-paintball manufacturing help

Non-paintball manufacturing help

Hello,

I have a project I'm working on (actually, the same one as I've mentioned before), and I need a bit of advice for determining the best way to manufacture something.

I need to build rails that will hold a large (4'x8'x1/2") sheet of acrylic. I'd like to use rectangular steel tube (1"x2"x9', 0.120" wall) as a starting point, then either machine slots a touch over 8' long and ~5/8" wide or cut the top side off the steel tube. Regardless of the method chosen, I was going to use plastic or rubber extrusion to buffer the acrylic from the steel.

So here's my question: What's the best way to put a long, 8' slot in 24, 9' long rectangular steel tubes? Just get someone with a torch to do it? Is there a machine that can cut slots like that easily? Get a router, build a jig and do it myself? Any estimates on cost?

Alternatively, the slots could go the full length of the rails - although I'm having a bit of trouble finding "C" channel of appropriate dimensions in steel tube.

Any suggestions to get me started somewhere would be immensely appreciated.

Steve
    Last edited by PBSteve; 01-29-2016 at 11:37 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Insider
    Not sure if it needs to be steel because welding, onlinemetals has 304 stainless channel but it's god awful expensive.

Aluminum might be reasonable.
    http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...008&top_cat=60

Didn't see any cheaper steel channel. Mcmaster also has the aluminum star extrusion that we use for building a ton of machines; its cheap and strong and can easily slide things on bolts down all 4 sides.
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Unfortunately I'm looking for the base to be the 1" dimension and the legs be 2", which I can't find in Al.

Does anyone know anything about cnc plasma tube cutters?

Lay it out with a chalk line and use a disk cutter to slot the center out, dont machine it unless it needs to be accurate. setting that up would be a hassle because of the length. We have used pieces of teflon or acetal as gliders for stuff that needs to slide across metal or concrete. Also if you fully slot the whole top of the channel it will likely spring, no garuntee on which direction or to what magnitude but it could complicate things depending on your design.

Disk cutter as in a dremel with a cutting wheel? I don't have much experience with steel (A36, 0.120" thick), do you think something like this would be adequate: https://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/P...1#.Vqzuj_k4HIU... can't seem to find anything beefier.

I need to cut 24 of these 8' slots/tubes, and I have a $1000 budgeted for machining so I don't mind spending if you know of anything better out there.
    Last edited by PBSteve; 01-30-2016 at 12:20 PM.
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

bigger

air tool with a 3" or 4" disc

dremel would be torture

The one I linked there is the US40-01 Ultra-Saw, definitely bigger than a dremel - it's got a 4" disk, and doesn't require me to buy a compressor
    https://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/P...1#.Vqz1Cfk4HIV

There's also this
    http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D28754-.../dp/B0006FIOFC

You're thinking something more like these?
    http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Har...s/N-5yc1vZc9nd

yes like that, way faster than a dremel

could also use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade

I think the air tool would be easier to keep aligned well, esp if I build a jig for it

Thanks for the help