Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rapid Prototype AR-15: By HaveBlue. Uhm "our" Haveblue?

Insider

Rapid Prototype AR-15: By HaveBlue. Uhm "our" Haveblue?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...3d-printed-gun.

I think DesertT1 was telling me last night that he has a RPM.

Hmm...

yep, that's definitely him. Someone posted up his test print over on MCB a while back, and he popped in to confirm.

Last edited by russc; 07-26-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Insider
    Well, he just made /. -

Good for him.

Awesome! True internet fame awaits! I actually first saw it on Hackaday this morning.

I didn't know Haveblue was on AR15.com . This is why it takes so long for him to answer my pm's on MCB. Now if he designed and came out with a 22mag kit......... I would be SO excited. I'm not a fan of composite AR15 lowers. I had one crack on me a few yrs ago, plus it can't be anodized pretty colors. Cool none of the less. I have been wanting a 3d printer for years.

on a side note, Simon, we need a firearm subforum. I have a few pictures of the AR15 lowers I have been machining I need to post.

I am just about to start getting ready to machine my own AR lowers. Did you start with the files from CNCguns.com?

Anything to look out for? I want to make one in .223, one in .308 and one in .45ACP.

We had a firearms thread in general discussion and OT. Feel free to start another

I pulled the blueprints off of AR15.com's archive. I double checked it with my Dads Bushmaster, and everything was good. I did have a friend buy an 80% lower, and used the jig and bluprints from CNCguns to make his AR15. His rifle has been plinking away for a few years now without any issues.

I can't think of anything to watch out for. Just make a good fixture so you can do a few at a time (especially on a VF2). I'm doing mine in .204 for varmint hunting. Start a side buisness making AR15 lowers, call it Simon's Tactical (because we all know you have tons of free time)

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_racecocker View Post
    Start a side buisness making AR15 lowers, call it Simon's Tactical (because we all know you have tons of free time)
    How about a side business making pneumatic uppers in our favourite calibre

The next few years of firearms regulation could get really interesting.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57...printer-lease/

Note this wasn't a government move, but rather a move by the RPM manufacturer to keep the guy from "going there". Looks like the ATF hasn't quite figured out what they're going to do yet either.

So much of that response and pulling back the printer just seems silly.

I believe it's already against the law to make an "undetectable gun" whatever that is, and there are already regulations in place for people that want to make their own firearms.

I guess the concern and fear mongering is because it will now be "easier" to do it? Heck it might be easier but I don't think I'd ever want to fire even a single bullet through a printed plastic barrel and breech. It's really just not realistic.

For the cost of making an illegal "throwaway" gun this way it would be cheaper to go to some street corner and buy something illegal. Either way what you would be doing is stupid and illegal in many ways.

It would be a shame if this meant even to make your own gun you now had to get registered and do a bunch of paperwork.