Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3d printer - ~$500

Are there any specific mods you recommend I do straight away? I'm planning on using cura as well and have been reading about the print settings, but I suppose I'll just have to try and see what works best for me.

Again, thanks for the guidance.

The 2.1 version of the Duplicator i3 actually comes with most of the mod's I did to my printer. The thumb screws, D4 extruder gear, belt rubbing fix etc. The only thing I might suggest is looking at a better cooling fan setup. Thingiverse has lots of options. I currently have the DiiiCooler. It cool well, maybe too well. My biggest gripe about it is that it's much harder to see what the nozzle is doing. I may try one that mounts on the backside like this.

...that is incredibly tempting...
    I may have to join in on some 3D printing fun. Let's see if the other half grants permission.

Quote Originally Posted by CFCrew View Post
    ...that is incredibly tempting...
    I may have to join in on some 3D printing fun. Let's see if the other half grants permission.

^ That may well hold true for most relationships. I've found I get what I'm wanting far more often, with less explosive reaction, if I bring it up before I buy it.

Case in point - my wife OK'd my upcoming purchase of a nice slider frame for my Resurrection, among other things that have to happen within the next handful of months. Had I just showed up at home with it, the results would have been that I'd have the frame, but I'd also be in a poo-ton of trouble for a very long time.

It might be easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, but sometimes it's safer to ask for permission (or at least talk about it first) than to have to ask for forgiveness.

I wonder if she'd be cool with a 3D printer... maybe down the road. Other projects first.
    Last edited by Pump Scout; 05-31-2016 at 04:13 PM.

I was a little worried that my Mom wouldn't be impressed with my fathers new 3d printing hobby. My fears were unfounded as all it took to get her onboard was making her a couple things and fixing some stuff around the house with it.

We made quite a few parts for the hybrid car with the university printers. Mostly (almost entirely) enclosures for small things. They were Ultimakers I believe. It really is amazing what you can do with them.

Insider
    The wife though it a bit of a toy, to go around with working on my parts and paintball 'toys' - that and it made fun toys for the kids and people liked seeing it at parties. The big turn around for the wife for the 3D printer was when I made a replacement pusher for her juicer when she lost her original.

It worked better than the original pusher. All it took was it replacing a seemingly irreplaceable piece, and improving on it, and she was sold. She doesn't blink when I need filament or parts any more.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Totally know how to play these games. I'm in the process of getting her equipped to turn one of her interests into a hobby, and potentially a business. Once she's set, I'll be golden.

Can we say Murder?

Alright, back to the well. I'm looking at filament and it looks like PLA and PET will be the best filaments for all around. I do think that the temp that PET has to be printed at may require an all metal hot end. I'm looking at this: http://www.micro-swiss.com/#!product...e-cece31e3ba6f