Thread: Eclipse Cure bolt

Eclipse Cure bolt

First post, since ive been jobless for the summer, ive been trying to do some reading and trying to get more proficient with what i learned this quarter, im a first year mechanical engineering student, so i had a quarter of machining and solidworks so far. I think i have most of the bolt down except i have no idea how to cut out the detent slots. I also need a pair of calipers as i kind of did this with a ruler haha

http://www.mediafire.com/?295ry0yapf91gty( i had trouble first with uploading a solid works file, then tried to compress which didnt fit the size limit :[ )

As an Engineering student it is definitely worth investing in a good pair of calipers. I recommend buying decent the first time and they will last you a life time. I am a fan of Mitutoyo. I wouldn't recommend anything less than 6" and really suggest the 8" if your budget can cover it.

You should be able to cut the detent slots by sketching on a plane normal to your view when looking at the side of the bolt, but in the centre of the part. Then off set the extruded cut to get the right depth. That would work if you want a flat bottom.

Or sketch from the front face and extrude the cut back. That would allow you to make it with a curved bottom surface easily.

Would you recommend dials or digital? I can read dial, but i feel like digital would just take half the work out of it.(these dial ones look more expensive than these digital ones

and wow i was so blind haha it took me like 2 minutes to do once you mentioned it, i was trying to do some absolutely crazy stuff to get those two slots

Digital. It just makes it simpler and you can swap units easily if you need to.

The hardest part about making most things is working out the operations to use to get to the desired end result.