Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASA thread advice

Wayne

ASA thread advice

I have run into something that I find interesting. If a standard ASA is 1/2 NPS, why am I having problems with certain CCI 12g changers? Im my testing for my Phantom UC pump kits I had zero issues once I chased the undersized threads with my tap. Now from time to time I am getting feedback that the threads are too tight for some CCI 12g changers. In the spirit of the AC thread standard thread, is there a standard oversized tap for ASA's? Keep in mind that I am getting the exact size of the tap because this is being reworked after ano. Just looking for a little clarity.

Wayne
    Closely guarded secret?

No secret just never saw this post before. Been busy.

There have been many issues over the years with ASA's made differently, and in two cases I actually believe it led to deaths so it's not something to take lightly. It's why I designed the safety valve system that we are making free use for everyone in paintball.

There are ASTM requirements for the ASA interface and it's important to follow them to ensure no galling or misfit of parts. I don't know of some of the parts you have meet or do not meet that requirement but I would strongly advise that if you make an ASA you ensure it does.

The problems occured when incorrect ASA's forced galling or lock on conditions with the valves on the tank and the user then unscrewed the valve from the tank by accident causing the tank to jettision and hit either the user (or in one case his mother stood near by) in the head.

A too loose fitting where the threads could release the tank could be an issue also depending on the tank and valve design.

With all of that in mind the only thing I can suggest is to get the ASTM reg and follow it.

Wayne
    Not sure if that's what I'm running into. Here is the pump kit and ASA in question:

It's not common, but I have heard back from folks saying that something is not fitting. Twice in ~20 cases. It's odd, but I'd rather not see it happen. I think both times it has been a CCI 12g changer, but these are for Phantoms, so most people are going to be using 12g changers, so it can't be all of them. I don't even know that there is anything different I can do, since I have 6 left that I need to finish and then this project is pretty much closed. Just wasn't sure if there was an oversized tap like what is used for AC barrels to account for the ano.

Simon - Know where one would find those ASTM reqs?

That's a nice looking pump kit.

You have to pay for the regulations from ASTM and are not allowed to share them freely unfortunately.

I am sure we could come up with a drawing that meets the ASTM regulations but is provided here as a standard for us all to work from though. Not sure I see any issue with that... I just don't have such a thing right now.

Wayne
    Thanks.

Do you know the ASTM number?

The drawings in my Google Drive are to ASTM specs.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B2...kd0c2RldjZoZ1E

Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
    The drawings in my Google Drive are to ASTM specs.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B2...kd0c2RldjZoZ1E
    Thank you for that. Forgot to check, gotta make that a habit.