Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on what software to use?

I have had near zero issue going back and forth from Fusion 360 and Solidworks. Only issues I have found are sometimes there is a broken part of an IGES file or something, but I have not had perfect success with that in any software.

Going from SW to 360 to use the CAM functionality has been flawless.

Supports Inception Designs
    Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    my background is AutoCAD and Inventor, and AutoCAD is what I do at the day job.
    I'm in the same boat, although I use Inventor more for my day job than AutoCAD. I'll have to check out Fusion 360 or some sort of open source when I get a new computer; I have my student edition of Inventor 2014 on my PC and I'm sure it won't transfer whenever I get a new computer.
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    How has it been to transfer files from Solidworks to? Has anybody here done it?
    The good:
    It transferred the end model just fine.

The bad:
    It looks like it's just an stl body; there's no feature history, so editing the imported model doesn't work out too well. If you just want it in the environment to keep everything in one place, to share or use in a project or for CAM purposes, you'll be fine. If you're looking to continue editing, it doesn't look like it's going to work.

Insider
    The good:
    It transferred the end model just fine.

The bad:
    It looks like it's just an stl body; there's no feature history, so editing the imported model doesn't work out too well. If you just want it in the environment to keep everything in one place, to share or use in a project or for CAM purposes, you'll be fine. If you're looking to continue editing, it doesn't look like it's going to work.
    Okay - If we can transfer for CAM purposes it might be worth using both and seeing what works. I do wish more CAD programs allowed for CAD that followed CAM basics in at least a few actions. If we do that, we will let you guys know how it goes.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com