Thread: Etha2: An Engineer's Perspective

Supports Inception Designs

Etha2: An Engineer's Perspective

figured since I got the "Etha 2" close (turned out to be the GTEK) I'd do a "review" of the actual thing

Caveat: I don't have one (probably not getting one due to other priorities ) and haven't handled one yet. this analysis is based upon information available in the manual and other sources.

GRN composite use: Proven material used in previous PE models (Original Etha, Etek5, GTEK) as well as within the firearms and other industries. great material choice with regard to strength and pricing compared to the AL 6061 or similar alloys.? requires slightly different design to make up for strength shortcomings but PE definitely has the experience and has shown they know what they are doing.

Regulator: smart repackaging of existing hardware in a new design which aligns the typical 1/8" NPT (macroline) input with the POPS airway.
    this design allows PE to keep standard parts within the regulator with very minimal changes to the proven internal design.?
    The top cap with slip fit tube is smart and allows for easy disassembly just by pulling the tube and regulator apart.
    Slipp fit tube style similar to that in the TPX pistol, no fittings to worry about so it's much more compact, 2 o-ring seals are robust and easily replaceable.

POPS: new body for a proven design. the original POPS was revolutionary and subsequent iterations, including the one else on the Etha2 have continued to improve the form factor while maintaining a core design specification and standards.

Gamma Core: obviously proven price of technology that allows PE to streamline both parts across multiple marker platforms.
    Of note: back cap is removable via a screw, this design feature may lend itself to aftermarket designs but not to a GTEK style quick release since threads are built into the bolt body vs the back cap.

Board/Battery: Battery placement in front grip continued from previous models at higher price points. Board takes advantage of the placement for a one piece design, although it seems to have some "wasted" open space which is necessitated by the markers long design.

Solenoid: Seems to be a robust design with plenty of flexibility if used in other configurations or new markers.

Eyes: Mounting eyes on the main board makes disassembly easy without messy daughter boards or eye wires that may break. It will be interesting to see how well the design holds up, however the standard design had held up very well, and I expect the same of the new design.

Grips: Design used in other industries and reduces screw holes and hardware that would add complexity to the grip frame and mess with the regulator in the grip.

Thoughts?

I know I've missed things but hard to do a review without having one in hand.
    Last edited by skibbo; 03-14-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Supports Inception Designs
    Yay! my thread is un-deleted

Thanks Simon!
    Team Akkadian Paintball Squad

B.S. Mechanical Engineering UW-Platteville 2012

Quote Originally Posted by neftaly
    Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever.

Jack, the reg piston on the etha 2 is odd to me. There is only like a 1.2mm hole at the tip of the reg piston and the spring is ridiculously long. Are you still trying to solve the squeaking issue from the CS1s or is there a more simple explanation?

Insider
    It's to help with damping the piston, yes. The spring is the same spring we have been using for years in the Geo line. Changing springs is one of the biggest hassles we have in a product because they are really hard to tell apart. You are very limited to colour (pretty much silver and gold in anything that lasts) and to tell two apart you generally need calipers. So although not ideal to use that spring, we feel it is the lesser of two evils. Another compromise.
    Dear boy, I work at Planet Eclipse, don't you know..

Fair enough. You did an excellent job on the ASA. I really like how easy it is to service.

Insider
    I like the board that only has one plug on it for the solenoid. No other peripheries. And the latching grips. And battery holder.
    Dear boy, I work at Planet Eclipse, don't you know..

Latching grips are well implemented for sure. Very simple, but makes removal and reinstallation super fast. Not sure if it's feasible, but for a gun with the board or battery in the frame it'd be dreamy.