Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula 600 chassis design?

Formula 600 chassis design?

(Reposted from Doc's... I figure there's a few more technical minded folks here not that his site has been partially over run by furry fans)

Kind of fell into a CBR600 on the cheap. Runs like a top, but the body panels are rough and it has a salvage title (scratched frame).

So of course, I want to tear it apart

I've been looking for ideas to use the motor, and since I've had thoughts of building an over-sized, overpowered go kart with for a while (anyone remember me asking about using a snowmobile motor last year?) I happened across this F600 picture:

Immediately I knew I needed to build one! Now, I can draw the entire thing up in 3d here at work, and even do the fabrication and welding here, as well as get all the material at our cost. We have CNC plasma beds, robot welders, ginormous saws, etc (I wonder why Firefox doesn't flag the word ginormous?)

What I don't have, are measurements for the chassis design. I've done some brief googling, but haven't immediately run across anything outside the rules, and to be honest, I doubt I will ever race it, it will just be another toy more than likely

So can anyone point me in the right direction?

Oooh now that looks like fun!

I have no idea what direction to point you in, but I want one.

I have a buddy who has done something like this in school and currently designs cooling systems for Honda and Toyota, I'll get in touch with him in the next couple days and see if he has any suggestions.

Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    ...but I want one.
    Heck yeah. A friend of mine was a driver on the U of A's Formula SAE team. I got to see how it was built (CBR600 motor, turbo'd, AEM EMS) and it was insane. There is a go kart track a few miles from my house that I haven't been to yet. 3 different kart types, the highest top out at 120mph. Oh baby.

Insider
    From a quick run down, it looks like it is a Formula 500 series chassis, modded to fit a 600 motor. Everything F500 spec on the chassis? Which looks like there is quite a bit of room to play with the design and existing chassis to pickup and mod the motor into.

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    From a quick run down, it looks like it is a Formula 500 series chassis, modded to fit a 600 motor. Everything F500 spec on the chassis? Which looks like there is quite a bit of room to play with the design and existing chassis to pickup and mod the motor into.
    yeah, that's my understanding too. They ditched the rotax engine setup in favor of a 600cc sport bike engine. The article I read said they were trying to get is sanctioned, but that was a couple years old. I found the chassis on Novak's site. only $13,500 before options

I'm going to work on drawing it up sometime this week and see if I can make a po-boy version here in house.

Insider
    There seems to be quite a few suppliers of parts, even full chassis for a few thousand.

I would find a supplier of the machined parts, like the front and rear axles, and build to fit. The chassis could be kinda crazy from what I see, as long as the main rules are followed.

Are you setting up to race? Or just for fun? Any way to make it street legal?

http://www.formula600racing.com

Anyone have a CNC tube bender and notcher available?