Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy's Firemag Unibody

Quote Originally Posted by Unfated33 View Post
    Okay, so when I get up to post #54 in this thread, the impression I get is that people want to keep the valve intact but change all the connection parts and ASAs to make it more in line with current industry standards. It seems at least Going Home values the feature of modularity and customization.

So my question is, what is it about the lvl10 valve or xvalve that makes you want to keep it as opposed to a more modern valve like in a Gtek or Torque or what Lurker proposes for the Paragon? Is it the idea that it won't chop? Is it some kind of ruggedness or reliability that you wouldn't find in one of the other mentioned markers? Is it the ability to stay mechanical and not require a board/battery?

If this is all just about being able to change to wood paneling and a bike handlebar for a foregrip, I'm out. That doesn't scream modern to me at all. If it's about mechanical spools, why not more embrace for the Tippmann Crossover or pushing for a mechanical Etha 2?
    Literally, 97% of all leaks with any mag is lack of oil. That simplicity, ease of use coupled with the L10, the ability with the RoF to go up as slow or as high as you want, the modularity of the design, and the dirt simple 2 screw gun. Its a joy to hold, to build. It is also the very last platform that you have customization.

Let me put it to you. You can take an Xvalve and use it in a mech gun, pneumatic trigger, an Emag, an Egomag, you can pump it. Can you do that with any other platform? Yes, it is an anachronism of a previous era where factory offers did not always have what you wanted, but the technology that made it also made it easily adaptable. It is the last bastion of personal guns, instead of offerings of factory colours. You can do anything you want with it and it is rock solid. With the L10, other than the pump mag, you generally remove chopping all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    You are soooo full of it. Its not what you say, its is the insulting way that you say everything. Learn how to communicate and you might get more people listening to you.
    "which of course triggers the most predictable of human responses .... irrational defensiveness."

im a mere student of humans and the designs they create. we so often overlook the human component to design, as its is an important or even more so important than any other design criteria or goal.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 05-17-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

I didn't see his post as being particularly offensive, condescending, controversial or whatever. Point is that the mag wouldn't fair well in a comparison table with pretty much any marker. That's true.

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by new ion? View Post
    I think that's what Steve is trying to get at. If you modernize a mag 'too much', you end up with a Crossover or Etha etc. So why aren't these guns more popular with the mag crowd? Did they go too far modern? What would it take to modernize a mag while still keeping mag enthusiasts happy?
    Well, to me what they lack is the ability to be customized with such a vast variety of different options. Just to be clear I also like modern guns, I play tourney ball and use PE GEOs (3.0, 3.5, CS1).
    Now if you could strip Crossover or Etha to its core and squeeze that into lets say Dallara or Karta body then that would be something interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ironyusa View Post
    I didn't see his post as being particularly offensive, condescending, controversial or whatever. Point is that the mag wouldn't fair well in a comparison table with pretty much any marker. That's true.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or in the capabilities. The Xmag, Dallara, Chord, Karta, Pboenix bodies are all very pretty. But with the mag, it is the ability to send mechanically 15bps+ out without fear of a cbop, due to the L10. You hear a chuff, and its better than seeing a cloud of paint exit your barrel.

If anything, mags were never beauty winners as the guns have some of the highest tolerances in the paintball world. Add in the fact that you need to work in the constraint of needing a rail of some that houses the sear, connect the body with the frame, body and valve. TK made the mag as small and as well built as he could. Classic valves will out last this century. And consider all the pekple coming from nelson based pumps, it fit right in line with them. Now, you have a generation that is used to single tube guns. It is just that people don't see, use or know of mags and what they can do.

Insider
    "So you've done this before?"
    "Oh, hell no. But I think it's gonna work."

Reliability is useful to me, modularity is not. If anything, I think it makes the mag one of the less user-friendly paintball guns available despite it's relative ease of use. The variety takes away from uniformity. So, how important is the anti-chop effect in play? To be honest, I've never actually chopped a ball with anything that wasn't a STBB, so I haven't thought of it as a big concern. Seems like most mechs are increasingly reliable these days, and imagine the performance gains you'd get by switching to something like the Mech Torque?

Sure, mag owners can stay with their mags, but there doesn't seem to be any practical reason to do so. It arguably inhibits the development of more advanced mechanical designs, and that's outside of the argument that maybe many of the modern electronic guns are hitting the sweet spots of easy to use, better performance, modern compatibility, reliability, etc.

endeavor to persevere.......

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    :thumbs up:

nobody: your insecurities triggering defensiveness do not constitute a failure of my arguments.
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
    :thumbs up:

nobody: your insecurities triggering defensiveness do not constitute a failure of my arguments.
    You two are like a crusty old married couple.