Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy's Firemag Unibody

Insider
    That has been obvious.

The curious question is why. It isn't like you have more or anything.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    That has been obvious.

The curious question is why. It isn't like you have more or anything.
    Because More is Better
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

Is the D3fy D3S/ hostile rogue not a modernized mag? Seems pretty close to me.

Insider
    So you definitely prefer to have less? Well, you have succeeded then.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Insider
    Is the D3fy D3S/ hostile rogue not a modernized mag? Seems pretty close to me.
    Lots of the same basics. I would put it in the ball park. The FS I would also put in the same list.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

The D3fy/D3S is functionally very close to a nail gun if you read the patent.

https://www.google.com/patents/US7931018

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-h_WbEWAyCW...Mac%2BLean.tif
    Ever so many citizens of this republic think they ought to believe that the Universe is a monarchy, and therefore they are always at odds with the republic. -Alan Watts

I work for the company building the Paragon

All the sudden im interested in automags

Quote Originally Posted by pbjosh View Post
    But hey, you don't own a mag, nor had years running the two different gasses next to each other, and you have some thoughts, the internet and a keyboard. You must be right. I will just throw a couple decades of experience out the window. I mean, this was like, 96. I probably was wrong. Senile. Just ask Gordon. Get off my lawn. Kids these days...

Now that was funny

Quote Originally Posted by Matt131Steck View Post
    All the sudden im interested in automags

Be careful, Automags are sort of like Lays chips, you cant have just one....

endeavor to persevere.......

Quote Originally Posted by PBSteve View Post
    The D3fy/D3S is functionally very close to a nail gun if you read the patent.

https://www.google.com/patents/US7931018

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-h_WbEWAyCW...Mac%2BLean.tif
    I know. I actually have a rogue and a WGP MG7 which are very similar designs. I was more or less referring to the direct linked reg function.

There are some other variants of the basic mag design out there that I'd like to get my hands on. I'm looking for an armson semi right now and have also had some fun with a desert fox.

All said, I honestly don't know much about building a mag. I guess I was under the false assumption that the mag took 800+ psi tank input. I have all my ninja regs set for ~550psi and don't want to swap one for a single gun that I truthfully won't use much. I do enjoy my sovereign 3 more than most of my other mechs though. My nova 700s are what I break out for nostalgia and they run WAAAYYYY lower pressure (~100psi).

The blowback comes to mind (tippmann/kingman)
    I was thinking more about the introduction of HPA, the implementation and now widespread use of regulators in paintball, the unibody and/or sinvle tube design, use of other material sources(i velieve the 1st to use and prove that Carbon Fiber is safe- the whole holding a car engine by the frame), mechanical anti-chop bolt and cause mags are fucking cool!

I believe that you have had a bad experience with a mag, that you set yourself a set of goals (unrealistic or unreachable) that the mag hou had gotten was not able to met. I don't know if the gun was poor maintenance or poorly set up. I know i wilould gladly loan you one of my mags and have it convert you.

Trigger function that's not tied to operating pressure
    A decent regulator
    Bolt access
    Classic mag triggers are not tied to operating pressure. You can even "dial that out" by using a different on/off pin, or changing it completely with a ULT trigger. If you like pneumatic triggers, a few parts and you have that.

Bolt access? 1 bolt and you drop the entire valve train. In most cases it is toolless (depending on how tight the field strip screw is). Besides, why do you need it? There are many guns that do not have this. Nearly ever spoolie (DMs, Proto, early Geo- i assume, Tippmanns & BTs) and some blowbacks even lack this feature.

Ever use an Air America reg? How about a Gen-X reg? Those were direct copies to the point that hou can put the bottom reg adjusters onto the back parts of the valve. The reg works, it is solid but it is ugly and unglamourous. This is more towards the classic valves, as ReTro/Emag/RTPro/Xvalves do not regulate the same as a classic. But not many regs can compete with the theoretical limits of an Xvalve, daned by Tom using Simon's ?ber-loader to feed an RT mag shooting in the 35bps range. Even then, classics can fall flat at about 15bps. Is it more that you can't change them to what you want?

This is not bagging on you, just for me, trying to inderstand your disdain. And if i can educate you a bit with my limited knowledge, then you and the community are better for it.

And i will say that a modernization for mags is needed. They are venarble and still able to compete against modern guns, but they need a good hand to polish and/or improve the design after some 20-30 years since brand new.