Thread: Axe board damage(?)

Axe board damage(?)

What is happening to this board? I was cleaning my eyes, only to pull out the upper board and see this.

There's discoloration in the top left corner, along with a buildup of something there.

Insider
    Looks like the solder mask wasn't applied correctly (or was dissolved somehow) and the tracks are corroding/lifting, hard to tell from the photo though.

Lovely. Does this mean the board will eventually fail?

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by Algae View Post
    Lovely. Does this mean the board will eventually fail?
    It'd be best to call Empire CS directly, I can't speak for these guns.

If you get stuck you can cut the corner off diagonally with a stanley knife to remove the corroded section. Then put some expoy, superglue or laquer over the seam and faded bits to seal it.
    If the track ends up going bad all the way though just scratch off the lacquer further down and solder in and expoy down a wire to rejoin the sections.

If the trace is corroding it may fail eventually, but hard to tell from that picture. A replacement sensor board shouldn't be hard to get from Paintball solutions if it does fail.

Okay, thank you folks.

What is a trace, anyway? Just the connection between two elements of a circuit board?
    Last edited by Algae; 09-11-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Yep, it's all those funky pathways you see making connection on a circuit board.

Okay, cool. Thanks Simon!

What weight traces do you guys use at Empire? 1oz? (or am I not supposed to ask?)

I'd answer if I knew. I don't know though. I'll have to ask the EE.