Thread: Need advice on removing seal plug

Need advice on removing seal plug

Gentlemen,

This isn't my first rodeo but this little guy has me concerned. It's an air transfer tube seal plug in an Alien Deception. It has a faint leak and needs to be removed, cleaned up, resealed and re-torqued. However, this little guy accepts a 1/16" allen key (well, sort of) with quite a bit of slop. However, 1.5mm is obviously smaller and 2mm is too large. I'm absolutely positive the hex walls will round out prior to the screw turning.

So, what are my options? Putting the body in the oven or hot water to relive the factory sealant? Sanding a 2mm hex key down to fit just right? Got any other tricks? Heat concerns me because I don't want to risk the body color changing, as it's the only satin black Deception I've come across. Any and all help is appreciated.

The culprit:

The marker:
    OlllllllO

The last time I had a similar situation I used some JB-weld to bond an allen key to the screw I was trying to fish out, although the screw I was getting at probably didn't need as much torque to get out as yours might.
    I don't know, fly casual

Boom, got it. I sanded down a 2mm hex and gave it a little localized heat with a lighter. I don't even think the heat was necessary with a hex that fit.

Thanks fellas.
    OlllllllO

The strange fitment is not unusual with screws from China where the quality is suspect. Use a quality set screw to replace it and it will save you the headache in the future.

Thanks, Simon. I'll be sizing them up and replacing them in short order.
    OlllllllO