Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Suggestions

Travel Suggestions

So I am out for the 2017 paintball season. Only played once. However for the same reason I will be able to freely travel for the first time in years in 2018.

On July 1st (Dominion Day) I very suddenly and very unexpectedly received a kidney transplant. Just got out of the hospital today. Full recovery will take months but at least I am home. No paintballing until next season, but without dialysis holding me home I can actually travel.

So I am looking for suggestions of special games that people think I should try. Big size is nifty but not a requirement in any way. Also, I work at an airport and one of our partner airlines changed their rules so I am eligible for discounts.

Thanks.

Insider
    Wow! That's a bit of story! Glad to hear that everything is going well with the transplant for you. That must be a big relief.

I always really enjoy Fulda Gap in November. It's big, but not too big, and has a great atmosphere around the camp. And the field itself is probably the best field I have ever played at.

Jack
    Dear boy, I work at Planet Eclipse, don't you know..

Agreed, quite a bit of issues all at one !

I was thinking about going to that game this year.

Whats the weather usually like ?
    endeavor to persevere.......

Insider
    Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Agreed, quite a bit of issues all at one !

I was thinking about going to that game this year.

Whats the weather usually like ?
    Perfect weather! Mid 70's during the day but can fall close to freezing at night. Not had any rain the last two years I've been either. Just been literally the most perfect paintball experience. The paint has been out of this world the last two years as well!
    Dear boy, I work at Planet Eclipse, don't you know..

Insider
    WOW on the Kidney. Life changing. That is awesome.

Fulda Gap is a great event. I will be there also. We could have a meet up. If you fly into Charlotte you can ride with us on the way up, we are based 10 minutes from the airport and a bit over an hour from the game. We normally get a cheap motel because it can get cold at night there.
    Josh Coray
    J4 Paintball
    Lead Design
    www.j4paintball.com

Congrats on the new lease on life. Dialysis is not fun.

While i was thinking more of a life enriching experience, outside paintball. Though going to a game, and not playing can be enjoyable, i would find it too much unreachable pleasure (for the next year) to be quite enjoyable. I would think more of life changing places that you read or dreamed about. Like going to see ths ocean, if you lived in a land locked area. Seeing the mountains, if you live on flat land. Even going to someplace like London, Paris, Berlin; where you have so much to do, now not being tied to anything.

The choice ia yours. Ultimately, your money, your choice. I would just widen the horizons a bit.

Glad the transplant went well and you are home.

Great events to consider are

Supergame in Oregon
    Living Legends
    I haven't been to Fulda Gap yet but plan to this year.

Those are the best that I have experienced but there are many others that are supposed to be fun also. There is almost a big game every weekend nowadays.

Thanks for the good wishes guys. They said I was a very difficult match and not to expect it, then boom, it happen. All of a sudden. Turns out the donor had syphilis so they have me on extra antibiotics just in case. If I ever run into you in person ask me about my syphilis story. It is actually funny and has two parts now.

Nobody, I meant in 2018, when I can play. In the meantime I, and beyond, I would be doing the sorts of things you mention.

Jack, yes. The recovery is hard but the doctors are amazed at how well the new kidney is working, how my blood test numbers are getting close to normal and I am making lots of urine. It would have sucked to go through all the pain for nothing, so relieved. Must live with the reality that it will not last forever but they are good at managing these things and getting more than 10 years out of it is common.

It is not a cure, just a treatment, but a life bettering, most excellent treatment. Nobody, you understated it. Always kept it in perspective seeing all those people worse off than I at the hospital, but it is true, dialysis is not fun.

Thanks for these suggestions guys. Not sure why but this discussion is making think Fulda Gap 2018 sounds pretty good.

do you want to go to big events, or play good paintball?
    social conservatism: the mortal fear that someone, somewhere, might be having fun.

There is an appeal to big events because living in a small area they have their own appeal as being different for me. However, unique fields, gametypes, etc appeals even more. So both, but good paintball wins out a little bit.