Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Standardizing feednecks?

Insider

Standardizing feednecks?

In the vein of standard AC thread, is there anything like a standard for feednecks? Do they need one? I'm aware of Ion 13/16-32 but haven't found anything "official" on paper (the closest is Yodas O/S marker).

I'm personally very fond of Spyder tabbed. They take a few more operations to complete but use a M4 tap, are stronger than 2-hole Spyders, can take a stock class feed, can be repaired with helicoils, can be broached for First Strike without compromising strength and can be run either vertically or offset (that is, both clamping and non-clamping versions are readily available). I haven't found anything official though and have several different feed necks with widely varying dimensions.

We've discussed this before but not taken it all the way to fruition and calling it "standardized" although I am down for doing that if we can get the interest of enough of the group and agree to it.

Steve took what we were doing with the Sniper feedneck and made a drawing for everyone. Link to that thread here. http://simonized.com/showthread.php?...-Feedneck-Spec

My goal with the Sniper Feedneck was to do just that. Make a standardized low profile system that I would use on every gun going forward. I am happy for everyone to join in with that if they have no issues with the design.

I am not a fan of the ion feednecks. I will never use that threading again for a feedneck. Any new guns will come with the sniper interface which is an adaptation of the Planet Eclipse system, but tweaked to allow it to be as low profile as possible.

I would think it would be tuff to get everyone on board with a standardized feedneck. Pretty sure most of the companies currently producing gun would resist it. Not sure if after market companies would love it or hate it? I will go on the record and say I hated the Spyder tab system. But it could have been tweaked to work much better.

I think if we produce a standard people can choose to use it or not, up to them. You'd only expect people to transition to it as they make a new product though.

Some never will. Just like some will never move to the Autococker type barrels. They have their reasons (some very good ones too).

Insider
    Ah, I see... it's actually a lip on the body. I imagined it being some sort of press-fit that Steve rendered upside down, whoops. I don't think it would suit my purposes, though it'd be really easy to do a sniper-to-tab adapter hehe.

The only reason I used Ion threads in the OS gun was because you can get taps for them for ~20 bucks on ebay, and I wanted to keep things so you could make the entire thing in a small home shop with a mini mill and lathe. My newer designs mostly use the system from the Sniper, only because I now have a CNC mill and am less limited. Obviously not a problem on an industrial scale, just one for a garage gun.

Insider
    The problems I have with the Sniper spec is that there isn't really any way to feed First Strike rounds in without hacks, it's very hard to do manually on 3 axes, requires extra stock and it isn't particularly suited to offset mounting (I think).

Good points. It's really just for vert feed and production intent.

You can cut it on a manual mill, but you'd need a rotary axis/vise/fixture.

For the other points... something like the BT picatinney mount system might be better, but FSR's will always be an issue.

FSR's are better fed by magazines than a conventional feedneck though.

Insider
    Yep, the idea is to use a 2/3 position (vert topfeed, underfed with a mag receiver accessory and offset) rotating breech/body. Was inspired by a suggestion on Yoda's OS marker though a simpler implementation owing to different valve design.

My favorite feedneck design is the original Marq's. I liked the recessed feedneck that was machined into the body. Now I understand that it isn't really possible with the newer guns not having enough metal left there to make it recessed but I made it look really low profile.

From a strengh perspective, Ion feednecks are awful. I've stripped a few of those out. The worst feedneck design in my opinion is the 09 Impulse because of the way it was made. Looks like an Ego feedneck except they press fit in a piece just for that application. I'd have much preferred them to just leave extra meat on the tube and machine NXT feedneck threading in. Or just have made it one piece. It never made sense to me that they did it that way.